Talk:Doofenperry twitter au!!!
Inspired By Fics
Hey, so I'm looking for more fics that were inspired by the doofenperry twitter au, because it's meant to have been really influential but we only have three examples of works it inspired? My question is, do works need to cite it as a direct influence or is it enough that they are a "[blank] stan Twitter AU"? Here are some I've found that seem like they were part of that trend:
- ThorBruce Twitter AU, Thor and Bruce run secret stan accounts for each other
- Love, Simon Twitter AU, Simon and Bram are Broadway stans
- RhodeyTony Twitter AU, Rhodey and Tony are Buzzfeed Unsolved stans
- It's kind of a hard line to draw because you can basically trust that anyone who makes a social media AU has read doofenperry twitter au, which is why I only included examples that directly cite it. I would say that those examples don't count because although they're using the format popularized by doofenperry, they're about equally as inspired by it as any other work that uses the format.
- An example that I would say counts as inspired by doofenperry even though is doesn't say it is LOVE LETTERS — growley au, a Diary of a Wimpy Kid work. Besides the format, it's also based on a canon that's targeted at kids and that the writer and majority of the readers aren't actually a fan of, and everyone's in on the joke that it's crazy that this work exists at all.
- I think the separation between Twitter AUs that are full crack and parody like Doofenperry and Growley and the ones that are created by fans for fans and have a more genuine emotional core can be explained on the Social Media AU page. —caes (talk) 20:28, 5 January 2020 (UTC)