|Name:||Sherlock Hound |
Famous Detective Holmes
|Creator:||Hayao Miyazaki (director) |
Kyosuke Mikuriya (director)
Tokyo Movie Shinsha,
|Date(s):||November 6, 1984 – May 20, 1985 (original Japanese run)|
|Country of Origin:||Japan|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Meitantei Holmes (名探偵ホームズ, Famous Detective Holmes) is a Sherlock Holmes anime TV series that aired in 1984-1985. It was released as Sherlock Hound in English, and as some variation of Sherlock Holmes in most other languages.
The first six episodes were directed by Hayao Miyazaki, but production was held up with a copyright conflict by the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle estate; by the time it was sorted out, Miyazaki had moved on to other projects.
In this adaptation, the characters are all anthropomorphic canids: Holmes is a fox, Moriarty is a wolf, and most of the other characters are dogs. Mrs. Hudson is usually depicted as a middle-aged or older woman in adaptations, but in this version she is a young 20-something year old widow and a love interest of many characters, including both Holmes and Moriarty. Moriarty is an active villain who is regularly foiled by Holmes, rather than a distant untouchable mastermind.
Miyazaki allegedly wanted Mrs. Hudson to be the real brains of the three main protagonists but was overruled. Mrs. Hudson is nonetheless very resourceful throughout the series, and is probably the most clever and capable interpretation of the character among adaptations.
In English-speaking fandom, whether the protagonist's surname is "Holmes" or "Hound" depends on the fan. This is because his name is Holmes in the original Japanese (and in most other languages), but is changed to Hound in the English dub. English fanfiction is mixed. In Japanese-speaking fandom, his name is exclusively Holmes (ホームズ).
- Sherlock Hound tag on Tumblr
- Sherlock Hound search at DeviantArt
- 名探偵ホームズ (meitantei holmes) tag on Pixiv
- Sherlock Hound entry on Wikipedia
- Sherlock Hound entry on the Anime News Network
- Sherlock Hound entry on Nausicaa.net (Hayao Miyazaki site)
- Sherlock Hound entry on Nausicaa.net wiki
- Sherlock Hound on crunchyroll.com
- Sherlock Hound on IMDB
- Released as simply "Sherlock Holmes" in French and Spanish, as "Il fiuto di Sherlock Holmes" (The Flair of Sherlock Holmes) in Italian, as "Sherlock Holmes, a mesterkopó" (Sherlock Holmes, the Hound Master) in Hungarian, and as "Sherlock koira" (Sherlock Hound) in Finnish. Source: IMDB's "Released as" page, Wikipedia's list of the page in other languages on the left, and Google Translate.
- Google search for site:fanfiction.net "Sherlock Hound" comes up with more than 500 results. A search for site:fanfiction.net "Meitantei Holmes" also yields more than 500 results. Some of those results are the same. Search conducted 2012 July 1.