|Creator:||Andy and Lana Wachowski, J. Michael Straczynski|
|Date(s):||June 5, 2015 – June 8, 2018|
|Medium:||Live-action TV show|
|Country of Origin:||United States|
|External Links:||Wikipedia, IMDB|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
- While living their everyday lives they suddenly have a vision of the violent death of a woman called Angelica and find themselves reborn as Sensates; otherwise normal human beings who are mentally and emotionally connected, being able to communicate, sense, use each others knowledge, language and skills. While trying to both live their lives and figure how and why this connection happened and what it means, a mysterious man named Jonas possessing the same ability tries to help the eight and protect them from another stranger called Whispers who is similarly empowered and is hunting them down to tap into their psychic link and capture them all.
- Capheus, a compassionate Matatu van driver in Nairobi who is desperately trying to earn money to buy medicine for his mother, who is suffering from AIDS.
- Sun Bak, daughter of a powerful Seoul businessman but also a star in the underground kickboxing world.
- Nomi Marks, a trans woman and hacktivist living in San Francisco currently in a relationship with Amanita.
- Kala Dandekar, a university educated pharmacist and devout Hindu in Mumbai engaged to marry a man she does not love.
- Riley Blue, an Icelandic DJ with a troubled past that made her run away to London.
- Wolfgang Bogdanow, a Berlin locksmith and safe-cracker, he participates in organized crime.
- Lito Rodriguez, a closeted Mexican actor living in Mexico City.
- Will Gorski, a Chicago police officer haunted by an unsolved murder from his childhood.
- Amanita "Neets" Caplan, Nomi's girlfriend
- Whispers, a Sensate turned against his own kind who leads an organization determined to neutralize or kill sensates
- Jonas Maliki, a Sensate from a different cluster-of-eight who wants to help the newly born cluster of sensates
- Angelica "Angel" Turing, a Sensate from an older cluster who becomes the "mother" of the cluster of eight new Sensates as she activates their psychic connection
- Hernando Fuentes, Lito's secret lover
- Felix Bernner, a locksmith who is the childhood best friend and partner-in-crime of Wolfgang
- Daniela Velázquez, is Lito's cover to hide his sexual orientation, her ex-boyfriend Joaquin Flores is jealous and violent stalker
In Nairobi, Kenya
- Jela, Capheus' best friend and partner in the "Van Damn" bus service.
- Silas Kabaka, a crime lord who approaches Capheus to work for him.
- Shiro, Capheus' mother who is seriously ill with AIDS.
- Amondi Kabaka, Silas' daughter.
- Zakia, a local news journalist who becomes romantically involved with Capheus
In Seoul, South Korea
- Joong-Ki Bak, Sun's younger brother.
- Kang-Dae Bak, a businessman and Sun and Joong-Ki's father.
- Min-jung, fellow prisoner
- Detective Mun, policeman, who wants to clear Sun's name
- Mi-Cha, Sun's mother.
- Soo-Jin, a Korean prisoner.
In San Francisco, California
- Bug, Nomi's old friend who ran with her in their younger hacktivist days.
- Janet Marks, Nomi's disapproving mother.
- Grace, Amanita's mother who is more accepting of Nomi than her own.
In Mumbai, India
- Sanyam Dandekar, Kala's Father.
- Rajan Rasal, Kala's fiancé and then husband.
- Priya Dandekar, Kala and Daya's mother, Sanyam's wife.
- Manendra Rasal, Rajan’s father and Sahana’s husband.
- Sahana Rasal, mother of Rajan and wife of Manendra.
- Daya Dandekar, Kala's sister and a fellow pharmacist
In Reykjavík, Iceland
- Gunnar, Riley's pianist father.
- Yrsa, an Icelandic sensate from an older cluster.
- Sven, Riley's friend in Iceland.
- Magnus Þórsson, Riley's husband who died
In Berlin, Germany
- Sergei Bogdanow, Wolfgang's rich uncle and Steiner's father.
- Steiner Bogdanow, a villainous Russian mobster in Berlin who is at war with his cousin Wolfgang and Felix
- Anton Bogdanow, Wolfgang's father.
- Lila Facchini, a sensate from another cluster that works alongside Fuchs and is in collusion with Whispers.
In Mexico City, Mexico
- Joaquín Flores, Daniela's jealous and violent abusive ex-boyfriend.
- Raoul Pasquale, a sensate from Angelica's first cluster and acquaintance of Lito.
In Chicago, Illinois
- Diego Morales, Will's police partner on the force
- Michael Gorski, Will's father, a retired cop
- Sara Patrell, a young sensate who disappeared after being found by Whispers.
When the series was canceled by Netflix due to the cost of how much the series takes to produce, the fans immediately fought back against it - signing petitions, posting videos and discussions on how to save the series. In response, Netflix eventually agreed to give the series a two-hour finale to tie up the loose ends that Season 2 ended with.
Due to the various sexualities canonically displayed in the television: slash, het, and femslash shipping are aplenty. Most of the pairings are canon, such as Wolfgang/Kala, Riley/Will, Hernando/Lito, Amanita/Nomi. A few fanon pairings have appeared: Wolfgang/Felix, Will/Diego, Sun/Kala. The group pairing of all eight characters: Capheus/Kala/Lito/Nomi/Riley/Sun/Will/Wolfgang aka Clustership or OT8 also appears. In Season 2, love interests for Sun and Capheus were introduced and they are also cherished by the fans of the couples: Sun/Mun and Capheus/Zakia.
Some works are even gen.
Fandom support for all of the pairings were fairly unanimous with the first two seasons, fans often respected each one's pairing. However in Series Finale, two pairings were confirmed by the end that not everyone is supportive of: Kala/Wolfgang/Rajan and Lito/Hernando/Daniela. Of the fans that are supportive, find them great endings and excellent way to finish the series without breaking anyone's hearts (For example the love triangle with Kala, Wolfgang, and Rajan) and great examples of polyships. Others that are against it, in Lito/Hernando's case because they are romantically involved with each other and are not interested in women (even if Word of God says every sensate is pansexual).
- Sense8, Archived version
- the ladies of sense8, Archived version
- Riley Blue, Archived version
- Riley, Archived version
- Nomi/Amanita, Archived version
- sending out flares by eleventhourx
- Human by RosieB1408
- Bad Moon Rising by LadyMagiccc
- Arsonist's Lullabye by eemersonm
- Iron by Undead Ban
- Hypnotic by Jules D.
- 20% Cooler by LadyMagiccc
- I See You Villian by XxRagnarxX (Humor)
- A Thousand Years by Fassy Massy (Multi-couples)
- In my space by Asiandramafan043
- (Crazy In Love) by Sense8 Shipper
- FADE INTO YOU by WeJustPlayOurPart
- part of my entity by LonelySpeaker
- The Courage of Our Hearts by Poetry, Explicit, Daniela/Hernando/Lito, Daniela has no idea how to love someone, much less two people. Joaquin wasn’t exactly a model for a good relationship. But for Lito and Hernando, she’s going to try. And if she makes some mistakes along the way, well, she’ll just to have to learn from them. Hernando and Lito are worth it – even if Lito’s been acting a little strange lately.
Archives & Fannish Links
- Asking the Wrong Questions: "I Thought I Was Alone": Thoughts on Sense8, Archived version, by Abigail Nussbaum (July 2015)
The show has received criticism for perpetuating racist stereotypes and its treatment of other characters of color.