Organization for Transformative Works/Support
|Committee Name:||Support Committee|
|Organization:||Organization for Transformative Works|
|Date(s):||2008(?) - Present|
|Committee Roles:||Assisting users of the AO3 with problems and queries. First line of contact with the people working on the archive.|
|External Links:||Archive Of Our Own, transformativeworks.org, AO3_Status, ao3org, Support & Feedback form on the AO3, Archive Support form on the OTW Blog|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
The OTW website describes its role:
The Support Team are responsible for responding to user questions and problems on the Archive of Our Own. Support will respond to queries filed through the support form on the Archive, and liaise with members of other teams to resolve bugs and provide users with accurate information. We need clear and effective communicators; no technical knowledge required. If you are interested in joining Archive Support, please let us know!
Support works closely with other OTW committees including Accessibility, Design & Technology, AO3 Documentation, Tag Wrangling, Policy & Abuse, Communications, Systems, Translation, Internationalization & Outreach, and Open Doors in the process of triaging tickets.
- In 2009, as AO3's open beta stage started, Support was a sub-committee of AD&T, with tickets answered mainly by a volunteer pool
- In 2010, Ira and Cal started as co-Support leads—Cal to support transition, stepping down after a few months. Then Ira stepped down later in the year, and leadership passed to Megan.
- Also in 2010, Support became a separate committee, while continuing to work closely with AD&T. Initially, the new committee had a two-tier system, with both volunteers and staff. Then volunteers were phased out and Support became a staff-only committee.
- In 2021, the Policy & Abuse team announced a change in their purview, with some ticket types becoming the responsibility of the Support committee instead.
History of Chairs
- 2009 (Support subcommittee): Amy
- 2010 (Support subcommittee): Ira & Cal, then Megan (Support committee)
- 2011–2: Matty
- 2013: Matty & Sam J.
- 2014–5: Sam J.
- 2016–present: CJ & Nary
- Jira issue tracker logs AO3 bugs, enhancements, and features approved and ready for development
- Most of the tools Support uses are not open to the public. They include the support ticket tracker, the internal OTW wiki, chatrooms, and mailing lists.
Fanworks committed by and/or about Support work
- Supporting, the fandom way. by awils1
- Why Hubot will never be friends with Nobody by Mel (Amancham)
- What We Believe by Yshyn
- OTW list of Committees
- Changes to Support and Policy & Abuse Responsibilities, AO3 News, published September 13, 2021.