|Also Known As:||J. D. Robb|
|Works:||In Death series, Bridal Quartet, Circle Trilogy, others|
|Official Website(s):|| http://www.noraroberts.com/|
|Fan Website(s):||Nora Roberts on Wikipedia|
|On Fanlore:||Related pages|
Nora Roberts is an American author. She also writes the In Death series under the name J. D. Robb.
Attitudes Toward Fanfiction
Stories based on Nora Roberts' works have been barred from FanFiction.Net at her request since early 2003,. (FanFiction.Net, however, has had a category for the In Death series since 2014.)
In early 2003 , Roberts stated: "I've never read any fanfic, but I don't have a problem with it. As long as nobody tries to pass the characters, etc, off as their own creation, it's find with me. I imagine it's fun." On June 14, 2003, Roberts expanded:
I don't mind fanfic--on sites devoted to or encouraging it.
On a personal level I'm divided in two parts on the subject. It's flattering, without a doubt, that readers are so excited by a story or characters, or so intrigued by them and want to spend the time and the effort to write stories that spring from or involve them. And I certainly understand the fun factor.
The other part of me isn't entirely comfortable with seeing characters or situations I created in the hands of someone else. That's, I'd guess, a territorial sort of thing.
It doesn't make me nuts or anything. The fact is, I don't read it.
But I'd say on your own site, or a site that supports or is structured for fanfic--go for it, and have a good time.
-- Nora Roberts, June 2003 at ADWOFF
2003: Fan Comments Regarding Roberts' Fanfic Stance and Remarks
There's been quite a bit of controversy over Fan Fiction over at ADWOFF as of late. As many of you know, ADWOFF does not allow Nora fan fiction of any kind to be posted on their site. I've largely remained silent on this subject mostly because while I don't understand their strong opposition to it, I do feel that what they allow or don't allow on their message board is their business. One of the reasons I opened up a Fan Fiction section here was because I was seeing that so many people wanted it, but there was not a place for it.
Many of you might have seen the disclaimer on FanFiction.net that states there is to be NO Nora Roberts fan fiction posted on that site per the author's request. Many of you might have also seen, on ADWOFF and re-posted here, Nora's answer to the fan fiction question when asked several months ago which was:
- I've never read any fanfic, but I don't have a problem with it. As long as nobody tries to pass the characters, etc, off as their own creation, it's find with me. I imagine it's fun.
It understandable makes you confused, I'm sure. does Nora oppose Fan Fiction, or not? Should I write Nora fan fiction? Is it disrespecting Nora's wish to write Nora fan fiction?
This is the controversy that has been going on there at ADWOFF for a while.
Today on ADWOFF, Nora attempted to clear up the mystery surrounding her feelings on Fan Fiction. Here's what she said:
- Well, let me try to explain my thoughts and feelings on this.
- I don't mind fanfic--on sites devoted to or encouraging it.
- On a personal level I'm divided in two parts on the subject. It's flattering, without a doubt, that readers are so excited by a story or characters, or so intrigued by them and want to spend the time and the effort to write stories that spring from or involve them. And I certainly understand the fun factor.
- The other part of me isn't entirely comfortable with seeing characters or situations I created in the hands of someone else. That's, I'd guess, a territorial sort of thing.
- It doesn't make me nuts or anything. The fact is, I don't read it.
- But I'd say on your own site, or a site that supports or is structured for fanfic--go for it, and have a good time.
I think we can all understand her reluctance to see her stories and characters in the hands of others. Any one of us might feel the same way in the same situation. However, what this statement says to me is even though she might be uncomfortable to read it herself, she doesn't mind if any of you want to write it. That being the case, unless I get some kind of Cease and Desist letter from her publishers, Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb fan fiction will always have a place here at InDeath.net.
In Nora's own words: go for it, and have a good time.
I'm so glad you feel that way, AJ. I personally don't go to the ADWOFF site cause I don't feel welcome and just seem... lost. I'm at home here and LOVE the fact that there IS Fan Fiction.
You're right, until the day NORA HERSELF either asks you or NORA'S PEOPLE ask you... keep the darn Fan Fiction here! I LOVE IT!
- I am quite happy to give Nora fan fiction a home here. And I'm really hoping that nobody who has any power will ever find this place and try to force me to shut that section down.
- But yes, even if they did, I'd find a way around it, I'm sure.
- AJ 
I can understand how Nora feels. I have read fan fiction in other areas that is so bad, you want to find the author and break his/her fingers so they can't inflict that kind of damage anymore. And to have that happen to your own characters must be devastating!
But at the same time, I know people who have started in fanfic and gone on to write their own stuff, some seeking publication, some just for the joy of creativity. So there are good points to it as well as the bad.If ADWOFF chooses not to publish fan-fic, that's up to them. That's what freedom of speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment is all about--no one tells you want to say, or not say, what to publish or not publish. It's as wrong to criticize ADWOFF for not publishing fan fic as it would be to criticize AJ for doing it. 
I get the territoriality of her position. She dreamed them up, and they are hers. It must be disquieting to see your characters do things you feel they would never do. And there is some truly horrid fanfic out there. Particularly in the Buffy and Harry Potter universes. (we'll not mention the crossovers to avoid giving anyone the heebie-jeebies) People who have no business laying pen to paper..er...keyboard to Word...feel compelled to set lose the most outlandish pieces of fiction under the heading of fanfic. But isn't there an old standard something along the lines of "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"? If I was published, that's how I'd see it.
I think she seems surprisingly comforatble with the idea, considering most authors would consider it a threat to their livelihood. I am a writer and I understand possibly feeling that way. She knows we are going to buy the books anyway! ;-) So I guess that it then does not matter to her as much. In a way, she is sharing the wealth (of ideas) with us.:-D
Writing Fanfic is often where writers shake out their skills, so it's nice that she lets people enjoy writing about her characters.
She's a cool lady. Thanks for posting this.
lets hope no one with power finds out about the fan fiction ..the stories i have read i have really enjoyed so good on u for giving them a chance
if nora is so gung ho about fanfic, then why arent we allowed to put it in fanfiction.net?
- My theory is that it was actually Nora's publisher or someone like that who contacted fanfiction.net and asked them to stop publishing Nora's stuff. I guess from a publisher's point of view that could be seen as competition...though I don't know why. But since it seems like Nora herself doesn't care, I can only assume that it's someone other than her who wanted it stopped on fanfiction.net, and her publisher seems the most likely one.
- I would not call Nora's position "gung ho", I think she is willing to tolerate the existence of fan fic, but she doesn't read it, doesn't encourage it. I'd say her attitude is more serenity about something she can't change. 
I have to admit I there are a lot of Nora fanfiction that I would love to see happen. I can understand her unwillingness to read it after all it would only take one person to accuse her of plagiarising their 'In Death' idea to cause a whole hoo haa. i think something similar once happened to Mercedes Lackey.
As a writer and having seen some of the godawful fanfic out there by people I think I would be awful as a reader of something based on mine. I'd sit there scowling at the scene yelling My character wouldn't do that. Have you even read the book! So I think Nora is being especially gracious!FFnet is having all kinds of problems with publishing houses snapping at their heels telling them not to write stuff based on their author there. Most of the time the author isn't bothered but it's the suits getting worked up. 
On December 15, 2014, InDeath.net forum moderator AJ posted a new thread to the InDeath.net Fan Fiction subforum entitled, 'ATTENTION ALL: FAN FICTION HAS BEEN SUSPENDED'. In the thread, they explained that the InDeath.net site would be closed to fanfiction due to the wishes of Nora Roberts, the In Death series creator:
As you all know, in recent months, at the request of Nora Roberts herself, there has been a "crackdown" on our fan fiction rules. A few stories that did not strictly fit our fan fiction guidelines were deleted and the moderation team had tried to become better at enforcing the rules in order to try and keep the fan fiction going here.
Unfortunately, it seems that Nora does not feel that the rules posted are enough and that the moderation team has not done enough to enforce the rules that we have. Yesterday I got a PM from Laura, Nora's publicist, who passed on a note from Nora that stated in part:
- While I've, with few exceptions, left the fanfic on your site alone, in the several months I've had to monitor. This, as you know, became necessary when stories having Eve or Roarke raped were put up. When stories that had nothing to do with the canon or completely disrespected and bastardized the characters were put up....You have guidelines in rules in place, but they simply aren't being enforced....This is extremely upsetting to me as the writer of the series, and as I've said before I must protect my characters and my work.
- I simply don't have time to monitor the fanfic on indeath.net. I ask you, respectfully, to stop publishing it on the site. I'd hoped I wouldn't have to ask this, but I must, and you indicated if I ever asked, you would respect my wishes. I'm counting on that.
Nora is right, in that...I have said many times in the past that should she request it, I would shut the fan fiction section down. So, it is with this in mind that I have suspended all fan fiction posting here on indeath.net. Past stories will still be available, but no new stories will be permitted.
I apologize to everyone who is a fan of the fan fiction here, and wish there were something I could do, but my hands are tied.
If you are a fan fiction author, and have questions or concerns about a story that you have written here or are in the process of writing...for example, if you do not have backups for some reason, please contact me or any member of the moderation team and we will help you if we can.
Again, myself and the moderation team here am/are very sorry that it has come to this. We sincerely want to thank all of our fan fiction authors over the years and we encourage you to continue writing...be it fan fiction for another series, or your own stories. You are more than welcome to post here on the forum if you have fan fiction or your own fiction written elsewhere.
Thanks again for all your hard work, support, encouragement, creativity and love for this series and its characters over the years.AJ
-- Nora Roberts, December 2014, quoted at InDeath.net Fan Fiction
2014: Fan Comments Regarding Roberts' Fanfic Stance and Remarks
The announcement was met with sadness by the community. Many fanfiction authors supported what they saw as Nora's right as a creator to maintain control of her characters, and respected AJ for following her wishes. Other fans were not as understanding. There was a brief discussion started about fanfiction and copyright violations and an author's right to prevent fans from publishing fanfiction of their work, before AJ locked the thread in order to prevent further debate.
Some comments from the original thread are below:
I will miss the fanfic here but I am happy you will respect Nora's wishes. 
I had stopped posting my fan fic as I didn't want to offend Nora. After what had happened, I just didn't feel comfortable posting it anymore. I enjoy reading others stories, but I understand and am glad that you will follow Nora's wishes. 
Aww, that's disappointing :( The fan fiction has given me a happy place to escape to during difficult times over the years. I hope our authors find a new home for their works and keep creating, especially those who still have works in progress! 
That is disappointing news, but NR has the right to absolutely demand it if she is unhappy with how we have treated her characters! As I wrote my two fan-fic stories way back in 2009, and I had desktop unit which crashed, can you help me get them backed up? Thanks.
- Yeah....that's one of the many unfortunate parts of this whole thing. A lot of us will miss the anniversary blog-a-thon which was really fun to write and to read. But, maybe we can find some new tradition for our anniversary this year. We'll have to work on that.
I have enjoyed many of the fanfics over the years, as well as been quite disturbed by a few. It's unfortunate that this had happened, but Eve and the ID world are Nora's to do with as she chooses and her wishes must be respected. I appreciate the integrity to adhere to Nora's wishes. Keeping one's word is not as prevalent as it used to be. Kudos to you, AJ.
I'm assuming the anniversary blog-a-thon will no longer happen as well. Darn.Hey, as long as Nora keeps writing the ID series, I will be happy. 
I'm very disappointed, and sorry that it has come to this. However, I do respect Nora's right to maintain control of her characters. I'm not sure if I have backups of stories that I posted here, so please, if possible, send me copies of my stories. Thank you....I am REALLY bummed out about this. I've been working on a huge project at work, and have been pretty much incommunicado for the past several months. Just sheer chance that I popped by yesterday. The last I had heard was that a lot of FF had been removed, and it was going to be strictly monitored and reviewed before it was posted, so that this situation would be avoided. What happened? Very sad that we are all being punished because a handful of people couldn't follow the rules. 
It seems like the folks here have gone above and beyond trying to meet what I consider unreasonable requests by an older author who hasn't gotten with the modern times of new media. However, there appear to be other sites around that one can share fic. I would recommend folks move to them. 
2017: Open Doors Archive Import
On June 17, 2017, two and a half years after InDeath.net Fan Fiction was closed to new stories, AJ posted an announcement to Forum In Death, the new location of the InDeath.net community, saying that they had been in touch with Archive Of Our Own about preserving the fanfic that was published to the archive:
Since I’ve closed InDeath.net, I’ve been looking for a way to archive the existing fan fiction that was posted there. A few members have suggested I get in touch with https://archiveofourown.org/.
So, I sent them an email and they answered back that they would love to help us archive our Fan Fiction! So I am in the process of archiving everything with them. In the meantime, I encourage you to check out their site if you are a fan of fan fiction.I will let you all know when that archive is complete.
AJ later confirmed that the import was in progress and an announcement would be officially published to AO3 on December 4, 2017. Open Doors' announcement is here.
Nora Roberts Fansites
- A Day Without French Fries (ADWOFF) (defunct)
- Stuff and Nonsense, by Nora Roberts, subject is fans, authorial control and opinions, reality (March 2018)
- ^ FanFiction Content Guidelines, Version: 11-20-2008, accessed 17 December 2017. An indeath.net post notes: "Many of you might have seen the disclaimer on FanFiction.net that states there is to be NO Nora Roberts fan fiction posted on that site per the author's request," posted 14 June 2003.
- ^ In Death Series at FanFiction.Net. The first few stories posted may or may not be fanfic for Roberts' series, but the latest six explicitly are. (Accessed 17 December 2017.)
- ^ likely January or February 2003 -- in mid-June, a fan referred to Roberts saying this "several months ago"
- ^ Nora's Official Stance on Fan Fiction. AJ at InDeath.net, quoting Nora Roberts' post at ADWOFF, 14 June 2003. (Archived by the Wayback Machine 25 May 2010.)
- ^ comments by AJ, the site owner: Nora's Official Stance on Fan Fiction
- ^ comments by Dana, reply by AJ at Nora's Official Stance on Fan Fiction
- ^ comments by Carole at Nora's Official Stance on Fan Fiction
- ^ comments by Indigo at Nora's Official Stance on Fan Fiction
- ^ comments by whiskey at Nora's Official Stance on Fan Fiction
- ^ comments by vimmii Nora's Official Stance on Fan Fiction
- ^ comments by shebody, reply by AJ (site owner), reply by Carole at Nora's Official Stance on Fan Fiction
- ^ reply by Blue at Nora's Official Stance on Fan Fiction
- ^ Post by AJ, InDeath.net Fan Fiction Forum (Archived version). Published December 15, 2014 (Accessed December 16, 2017).
- ^ AJ at InDeath.net. ATTENTION ALL: FAN FICTION HAS BEEN SUSPENDED, posted 15 December 2014. Archived by the Wayback Machine 26 August 2016.
- ^ Post by Rabb, InDeath.net Fan Fiction Forum (Archived version). Published December 18, 2014 (Accessed December 16, 2017).
- ^ Post by iwill67, InDeath.net Fan Fiction Forum (Archived version). Published December 18, 2014 (Accessed December 16, 2017).
- ^ Post by dzennka, InDeath.net Fan Fiction Forum (Archived version). Published December 18, 2014 (Accessed December 16, 2017).
- ^ Post by Uthra, Eve's alter ego, reply by AJ (site host) InDeath.net Fan Fiction Forum (Archived version). Published December 18, 2014 (Accessed December 18, 2017).
- ^ Post by Lee, InDeath.net Fan Fiction Forum (Archived version). Published December 18, 2014 (Accessed December 16, 2017).
- ^ Post by Ms Joy, InDeath.net Fan Fiction Forum (Archived version). Published December 18, 2014 (Accessed December 19, 2017).
- ^ Post by JennR, InDeath.net Fan Fiction Forum (Archived version). Published January 12, 2015 (Accessed December 16, 2017).
- ^ Thread by AJ, Forum In Death. Posted June 17, 2017 (Accessed December 17, 2017).
- ^ Post by AJ, Forum In Death. Posted October 29, 2017 (Accessed December 17, 2017).