|Moderator(s):||As of 2019, mods are dapatty and cold_clarity|
|Associated Community:||livejournal; dreamwidth|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
The name presumably refers to the fact that ficlets are posted anonymously, like presents with no tags attached.
The challenge usually takes place in January.
The challenge was moved to dreamwidth in 2013. Two rounds were held in 2013, in January and September. As of the 2014 round, a "ficletfairy" posted all the fills to the dreamwidth comm to maintain anonymity until the reveal, but by the 2015 round, no_tags was using AO3's anonymous challenge functionality. The February 2015 round was the last for several years. Both mods seem to have migrated to Hockey RPF.
In 2018 dapatty and cold_clarity restarted the challenge and ran it on a seasonal basis, with rounds in March, June, and October 2018. In 2019 the challenge ran in February and November. The November round was in response to My Chemical Romance's announcement of a reunion show.
How this works!
1. There will be a sign-up post where everyone can leave their preferred pairings and prompts, screened. If you sign up, you are saying you commit to writing a ficlet for someone over the next week.
2. I’ll post the pairings and prompts in a list, and then everyone can anonymously claim one for their very own! It will be first-come, first-served, so I’ll try to post it at an hour that’s good for as many time zones as possible.
3. One week from the prompt claim post, everyone will post their ficlets through the challenge journal (I’ll give everyone the password) so that they remain anonymous. Ficlets should be a minimum of 1,000 words. The sky’s the limit, but this is a ficlet exchange and you’ll only have a week to write, so try to limit yourself to the length of one lj post.
4. Feedback and guessing will ensue.
5. The great reveal!
If you’re interested, drop your name into the screened sign-up post along with your requested pairings and prompts! Any questions can be addressed here in the comments!
After all ficlets have been posted, mods put up a guessing post where readers can speculate on who wrote what, and eventually a claiming post for authors to reveal what they wrote.
- dapatty. Schedule for February 2019!!!, archived, posted to dreamwidth 2019-01-21. Accessed 3 November 2019.
- no_tags 2012 is a (slightly belated) go! by inlovewithnight, posted Jan 23, 2012.
- cold_clarity. Schedule for March 2018, Archived version, posted to dreamwidth 2018-02-27
- dapatty. "In celebration/overwhelming feelings of MCR DOING A THING, L and I are gonna run a round of no_tags. Prompting tomorrow to Saturday night. Claims Sunday. Post in the DW comm pending. Let us write our feels, Bandom Lovelies!", Archived version, tweet posted 31 October 2019.
- Ficlet Exchange Rules! by AirgiodSLV, posted to LJ community on Jan 2nd, 2010.