Maya Hart/Lucas Friar
|Pairing:||Maya Hart/Lucas Friar|
|Alternative name(s):||Lucaya, FriarHart, Laya|
|Gender category:||Het, m/f|
|Fandom:||Girl Meets World|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
The relationship starts with her making fun of his Texas heritage and Lucas taking it all in stride, with a genuine bond of friendship growing between the two. Maya seemed most interested in matchmaking him with Riley, until the two decided to break off their brief relationship at the beginning of season 2. After a while, Maya seemed to develop an attraction to Lucas as well as real feelings, leading to a Love Triangle that spilled over into season 3.
Another conflict with the possibility of the pairing involved Maya's crush on Riley's college-age uncle Joshua, who seemed to acknowledge her feelings.
Maya/Lucas is a fairly popular pairing that grew popular within the first few episodes of the first season of Girl Meets World. The fandom behind Maya/Lucas can be mainly found on Tumblr, AO3, and Youtube, with only a few fanfiction posted to FFN so far. Fans are drawn to the snarky banter the two have, seeing potential for something deep and meaningful.
- hearts like supernovas by quorra laraex, Mature, drabbles that deal with College AUs
- "Well it’s official." by msnoahshaw, a drabble where Maya and Lucas get stuck in a Farris wheel.
- Who's That Girl? by msnoahshaw, a drabble where Riley realizes that Lucas has a crush on Maya and talks to Topanga about it. (Riley & Topanga, implied Riley/Farkle)
- Neutrality Wins No Wars by silver_etoile, Future!fic/High School, When Riley and Lucas break up, the lines are drawn in the sand, but Maya finds herself crossing that line when she gets stuck in detention with Lucas. She doesn't mean to let herself get involved, but with the rumors flying around school about her, she just needs someone to talk to. She gets the feeling Riley won't see it that way.
- take me home by perfectlystill, Lucas makes a habit of showing up outside Maya's window. It's not a big deal.
- can a play still go on if the curtain falls and the audience have gone home? (please circle your answer) by xcalibra, They're not together, but everyone knows they might as well be. Or, the progression of a non-relationship between Lucas and Maya.
- seven broken hearts by topangamatthews, It’s not that Maya wasn’t good at having a boyfriend. It was that Lucas Friar always had a way of making them leave.
- Shut Up, Zay by Maddie_Collum, A collection of times that Zay has explicitly shipped Lucaya and Lucas has told him to shut up.
- Motherly Advice by thegalaxyeffect, Lucas is feeling lost about his feelings for Maya post Ski Lodge and turns to the only person he can think to- her mother.
- friends don't treat me like you do by elizashamilton, the five times lucas forgot he and maya were just friends and the one time he didn't care
- (maybe) you're gonna be the one that saves me by thegalaxyeffect, “Yes, but I refuse to call you Mr. Perfect. Do you know how pretentious that sounds? For months I thought that ‘P’ on your dumb suit stood for Pete.” She glances at him, his unamused expression. “You know, like Cactus Pete?” (Superhero AU)
- I Always Knew by reversetheuniverse, Maybe she does understand how she feels, but she doesn’t want to admit it to herself. Lucas Friar has her heart in a vice-grip (or lassoed, that stupid southern boy), and the thought of it frightens her. (Ski Lodge AU)
- I Confess by americanhoney913, Maya thinks she has a stomach ache. Lucas is confused. Can the adults help them sort out their feelings?
- a mother's love. by fandomsnthings, All Katy Hart has ever wanted is for her daughter to be happy.
- i was a billion little pieces (till you pulled me into focus) by bluesey, The worst part is that her mother told her he's probably her soulmate. That's what happens when you have one, she said, they come to you in dreams. (or, you meet your soulmate in your dreams before you meet them in real life, but you can't remember what they look like when you wake up + whatever mark you get on your skin, your soulmate gets them too) (Soulmate AU)
- if only for the sake of it by agreaterlove, They’re seated at their old hangout at Topanga’s, Lucas slouched in his seat with a now-empty plate across his stomach. It’s almost effortless the way he glided back into the group, like he never left. Maya sits to his left, eyeing him over her strawberry smoothie, like she’s just waiting for him to slip up. (Lucas moved away and came back)
- Everybody Knows by Moon_Halo, Everyone starts to notice that Lucas and Maya might have feeling for each other. Written from multiple POVs and before Girl Meets Texas.
- what if (you should decide that you don't want me there by your side) by larreeds, how things would've gone if Lucas had chosen Maya. (Ski Lodge AU)
- tell me some things last by bluesey, "You still love him?" She doesn't reply, the answer thrashing and flailing, like a wild and living thing, in the base of her throat. Because of course she does. Of course she still loves Lucas. But that doesn't matter anymore. (Fake/Pretend Relationship)
- strings by teatart, After Officer Lucas Friar commits an offense that could potentially ruin his career, he is given a job to redeem himself: to take care of renowned contemporary artist and nut job, Maya Hart. (Body Guard AU, WIP)
- Oh My My My by amirmitchell, On his first day of kindergarten, he catches her playing in the dirt with a little boy in glasses, and he thinks that she's the most beautiful girl he's ever seen. (Childhood AU)
- this time it's up to fate by bluesey, For the longest time, she'd thought Riley was supposed to be her soulmate. (Soulmate AU, also includes Riley/Maya)
- the eye of the storm by mayahqrt, It’s consistencies like these from before and after Maya's so-called identity crisis that allow Lucas to realize she never changed. In fact, if anything she found who she truly was inside. It’s consistencies like these that make him realize, "Shit, I still like Maya." *(Post Ski Lodge)
- some fic recs by lucayagarbage
- A List of Well-Written Lucaya Fanfic Recommendations by define-minkii
- True Love
- Maya and Lucas
- that home
- Whatever She's Got
- Breathe Me
- Just the Girl
- Didn't see it coming
- Haven't Had Enough
Archives and Fannish Links
- lucaya, Maya x Lucas & Lucas x Maya tags
- In the pilot episode, in order to get Riley introduced to the cute boy on the subway, Maya walks up to him and asks him out, dates him and breaks up with him within a minute. They both later develop real feelings for each other, which complicated the Riley/Lucas relationship but ultimately the ship is sunk when Maya realizes she still has feelings for Josh and ends the love triangle Lucas gets together with Riley.