|Name:||John Silver, Long John Silver|
|Title/Rank:||Cook, Quartermaster, Captain|
|Status:||Alive (Black Sails) Alive (Treasure Island)|
|Fandom:||Treasure Island, Black Sails|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Long John Silver is a fictional character in Robert Louis Stevenson's book Treasure Island. He also appears in other books, TV and movie adaptions of Treasure Island. John Silver is also a main character in Starz's TV series Black Sails, which is a prequel to the original novel.
In the original novel, Long John Silver is a typical pirate, with a peg leg and a parrot named for Captain Flint on his shoulder. He was previously quartermaster under the notorious pirate Captain Flint He claims to have been the only man whom Flint ever feared. He is overall self-interested, but acts as a mentor to the Jim Hawkins, the protagonist. It is mentioned that he is married to a woman of African descent.
In the Starz TV series, John Silver is portrayed by Luke Arnold. He joins Flint's crew in an effort to save himself when his merchant ship is boarded by the pirates and his allegiances often change as he is always looking for opportunities to improve his lot. Flint recognizes his skill at manipulation and requires that he help keep the crew in line. Despite this, Silver develops a loyalty to his crew that leads to him selflessly refusing to betray them in season 2. This decision results in John losing his leg.
In Season 3, to encourage revolt against the British in Nassau, Billy Bones creates a fearsome character Long John Silver. John is unaware of his shipmates plan, but eventually steps up to the role of a living legend. In Season 4, he has begun a relationship with Madi, the woman who would be in wife in Treasure Island. Madi and Flint both want war with England, and Silver's relationship with them is strained as he comes to oppose their views. He ultimately betrays and usurps Flint, and it is implied that his relationship with Madi is irreparably damaged.
Very little is known about John Silver's past. The story is tell Captain Flint about his childhood is an admitted fabrication, created to control his story, and even his name is implied to be false. He is a manipulative character who can spin a story to his own advantage, but this skill allows him to rise quickly through the ranks of Captain Flint's crew, and becoming a rival to his former mentor.
Threesome and Moresome fics are common, possibly due to the canon existence and acceptance of relationships with more than two people. The pairing of Captain Flint/John Silver/Thomas Hamilton is common, despite these three characters never sharing a scene together in canon. There are also a number of works with the pairing of Captain Flint/Madi/John Silver.
Many fics including John Silver as a main character are Disability fics, as John lost his leg in the canon of the books and TV show.
- Fifteen Men in September by ballantine.
- Fairlead by Farasha. (Captain Flint/John Silver)
- Running home to you by vowelinthug, "See? I told you I didn’t kill him." post-finale, where everyone learns a valuable lesson about communication and smallpox.
- the only way out is the way back in by samedifference61, a shared bath, a conversation about death, and a promise.
- Uncharted Waters by farasha, Newly-promoted Lieutenant McGraw expected action while stationed in the West Indies. This was not the type of "action" he was expecting, but John Silver is absolutely shameless about pursuing what he wants. (Pre canon)
- Black Sails || Follow me]
- My body is a cage | John Silver [Black Sails]
- John Silver [Black Sails || Everybody loves me]
- Give Me Love | Silver & Madi