John Constantine/Zatanna Zatara
|Pairing:||John Constantine/Zatanna Zatara|
|Alternative name(s):||JohnZee, MagicBlazer|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
The pairing first appeared in Swamp Thing #49 (1986). Over the following years, numerous titles made references to their past relationship, such as Secret Origins #27 (1988), The Books of Magic (1990), and Zatanna: Everyday Magic (2003). John and Zatanna have also made appearances in each other's solo titles, Zatanna: Come Together (1993) and Hellblazer, respectively.
In Elseworld stories, Kingdom Come features Zatara, John and Zatanna's son. They are also seen together in the DC Bombshells universe, along with their foster daughter, Rachel Roth. In addition, a Smallville comic story arc, "Harbinger", focuses on the two.
Starting with the New 52/DC Rebirth reboot, the pairing gained popularity with mainstream readers. The two were featured prominently in the newly published title Justice League Dark, a portion of which is dedicated to their relationship. Since DC Rebirth, they have continued working together within the capacity of the Justice League Dark team.
John Constantine and Zatanna's romantic relationship is explored in movies Justice League Dark (2017) and Justice League Dark: Apokolips War (2020). They are also briefly seen together in a couple episodes of Justice League Action.
John and Zatanna are seen working together in Injustice: Gods Among Us.
Common Tropes in Fanworks
- beauty in the breakdown by Bether. He's very clear when they first meet: "Someday I'm going to break your heart." When he's right, John Constantine is right.
- i clutched your arms like stairway railings, and you clutched my brain and eased my ailing by proserpinasacra. It was a thing of sheer luck that Boston wasn't still hanging around, because the first thing Zatanna did upon stumbling over the threshold of the House of Mystery was strip off her blouse, too drained to do it with magic. (constantine and zatanna clean off together after a battle with demons)
- and it all ends happily by questionablesidekick. There’s a moment in time when John can’t breathe.
- reviver by repeatogirl. If Zatanna's crossing certain lines without him, damned if Constantine won’t be the one to bring her back.
- when everything's wrong, you make it right by blackcanarys. "I gave you my heart," she tells Constantine, John, and pretends that she doesn't hear his reply, because she knows how this goes. It's how it always goes.
- it's the price we pay (when it comes to love) by teatin. Maybe, if Zatanna Zatara loves him, he’s not entirely a lost cause. Maybe, just maybe, he can become the man she always believed he could be.
- john constantine x zatanna zatara || love me by adalana
- john constantine - you can't take me [+zatanna] by xcanaryx