John Crichton/Aeryn Sun
|Pairing:||John Crichton/Aeryn Sun|
|Gender category:||Het, M/F|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
John and Aeryn's relationship was central to the story of Farscape.
Aeryn is initially frustrated and confused by John's strange language and customs. John is equally frustrated by her Peacekeeper ways. They eventually begin to trust and care for each other. John infiltrates the Peacekeep Gammack base, to save Aeryn's life. Aeryn returns the favor, saving Crichton after the destruction of the base. Aeryn tries to help John deal with the neural chip placed in his brain by Scorpius, but her efforts lead to her death. Aeryn is resurrected by Zhaan.
When John Crichton is split into two identical selves, named MoyaJohn and TalynJohn by fans, Aeryn finds herself aboard Talyn with TalynJohn. (In canon, it is never revealed which John was the original Crichton.) During their time on Talyn, Aeryn and John begin a serious relationship, only for Crichton to sacrifice himself, to stop wormhole technology falling into the wrong hands. Mourning his death, Aeryn returns to Moya but she is cold and detached in her interactions with MoyaJohn.
The two eventually reconcile but try to keep their relationship a secret, to protect a pregnant Aeryn from John's enemies. In the season 4 finale, John proposes to Aeryn, she accepts, and they are both immediately killed by an unidentified assailant.
In the Peacekeeper Wars, John and Aeryn are reconstituted, only to end up in the middle of a galactic war between Sebaceans and Scarrans. Aeryn gives birth in the middle of a gun fight and John enforces peace with a fearsome wormhole weapon.
Aeryn names their son, D'Argo Sun Crichton
Many fans noticed how their relationship subverted many popular tropes in romantic storytelling. John Crichton was often cast as the weaker character, the damsel in distress, and Aeryn was stronger, more capable and often running to his rescue. He is the more emotional of the two and often tries to get Aeryn to talk about her feelings. This dynamic was maintained in many fanworks of this pairing.
Common Tropes & Storylines
- Lots of episode related fics, possibly because Farscape episodes were full of tropes usually seen in fandom
- Bodyswap fics set during Out of their Minds
- Fic set during A Human Reaction, where John thinks he has returned to Earth with the crew of Moya, but it's a simulation
- Fics set during Terra Firma, when John, Aeryn and Moya's crew actually arrive on Earth
- Fics set during Infinite Possibilities - Icarus Abides, the episode where TalynJohn stops the Scarrans getting wormhole technology at great personal cost
- Future Fics, set post PKW
- Alien Kink is common as Aeryn and John are of two different species; Sabeacean and Human respectively
- AU fics were primarily canon divergence, possibly due to the canonical nature of this ship
- 24 Hour Pass by Ann Harrington, John Crichton returns to Earth (2001) AO3 Link
- No Easy Way Down by Mosca, Crichton and Aeryn have interface compatibility issues. (Alien Kink) (2003) AO3 Link
- Little Acorns by feldman, "Take all your problems and rip 'em apart." (AU Canon Divergence) (2004) AO3 Link
- Blue Eyes by Thea, What if John Crichton had married the princess? And what if things still didn't go as planned. (Episode Related AU) (2004)
- In the Company of Ghosts by KodiakkeMax, A mere moment, passing unnoticed. A choice, unremarkable in a daily web of choices. And thus two Prowlers, two pilots... and two very different destinations (AU) (2002)
- Scientist, Astronaut, and Nymphomaniac: The nine lives of John Crichton by feldman, Out of Their Minds AU. Possession is nine-tenths of the law (Body Swap, Episode Related) (2004) AO3 Link
- Fix You (John/Aeryn, Farscape) (2007)
- Farscape Fanvid - Between Words and Silence (John/Aeryn) (2010)
- One Thing