|Relationships:||Mal Reynolds (love interest)|
|Fandom:||Firefly, Serenity, Jossverse|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Inara Serra is a character in Joss Whedon's Firefly and related works.
She is a licensed Companion, a profession which is somewhat of a mish-mash between a courtesan and a geisha. Companions are highly respected within the Firefly verse, despite engaging in a form of state-sanctioned prostitution. As are all Companions, Inara is well-educated and well-mannered. Her prestigious position is occasionally used to help the crew of the Serenity out of difficult situations, as Companions are viewed as respectable, upper-class citizens, with privileges above those of most citizens outside of the Core planets.
Inara is portrayed by actress Morena Baccarin.
Inara is commonly paired with her canonical love interest, ship's captain Malcolm Reynolds. She is also frequently paired with Kaylee Frye, the ship's mechanic and Inara's closest friend on board. Many works are pre-canon works focused on Inara's decision to train as a Companion.
- Grace Personified, essay on Inara Serra at Idol Reflections, posted 1 May 2006
- Broken Angels (Hallelujah), essay on Inara/Mal at Ship Manifesto, posted 16 November 2004
- What Might Have Been, essay on Inara/Kaylee at Ship Manifesto, posted 12 October 2004
- The Sun, the Sunburn and the Flame, essay on Kaylee/Mal/Inara at Ship Manifesto, posted 27 February 2006
- Dear, If You Love Me, Hold Me Most Your Friend, essay on Simon/Inara at Ship Manifesto, posted 4 December 2004
- 'Firefly': Mixed Messages on Inara's Sexuality by A Little Tiefling on Bitch Flicks
- What might be by honorh, What would a glamorous Companion possibly regret?
- Character Study by Ana, He has no appreciation of the skill it takes to fully assume a role.
Archives & Links
- Inara Serra character page on The Firefly and Serenity Database
- Inara Serra character section on Wikipedia