|Occupation:||Steward of Gondor, Prince of Ithilien, Lord of Emyn Arnen|
|Relationships:||Denethor (father), Boromir (brother), Éowyn (wife)|
|Fandom:||Lord of the Rings|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
- "Here was one with an air of high nobility such as Aragorn at times revealed, less high perhaps, yet also less incalculable and remote: one of the Kings of Men born into a later time, but touched with the wisdom and sadness of the Eldar Race. He knew now why Beregond spoke his name with love. He was a captain that men would follow, that he would follow, even under the shadow of the black wings." -Return of the King
Faramir is the second son of Denethor, Steward of Gondor, and younger brother of Boromir. Throughout his life, his father was often cruel to him and saw Boromir as the superior son; despite this, Faramir loved his brother very much and grieved when he learned he was killed. In the movie version of The Two Towers, this dynamic moves Faramir to attempt to take the One Ring back to Gondor to impress his father, only stopped later by his conscience. In the book version, despite knowing it would disappoint his father, he almost immediately understands the importance of Frodo's quest and only helps him. There has been some small fannish controversy over these changes from the book to the movie.
In The Return of the King, Denethor's problematic behavior towards Faramir comes to a head when he commands him to run a suicide mission against Sauron's forces in Osgiliath; Faramir is obedient but is seriously wounded, to the point of insensibility. This, on top of so many other losses (Boromir, parts of Gondor, and Sauron's army on the horizon) causes Denethor to go insane and attempt to burn himself and Faramir alive. Pippin, upon seeing this, summons Gandalf who is able to save Faramir, but Denethor still kills himself.
After the war, Faramir is healed at the Healing House, where he meets Eowyn, Princess of Rohan. They fall in love and eventually marry. He accepts Aragorn as his king with aplomb and becomes the Prince of Ithilien.
Faramir's strongest relationships in canon are between him and his brother Boromir and between him and eventual wife Eowyn; because of this, most fanfic/other works explore these relationships. Some of these are slashfic portraying a more sexual relationship between him and Boromir, but these are a minority compared to those shipping him with Eowyn or showing a gen relationship with his brother. That being said, the Boromir/Faramir relationship has a lot of readership and recognition. There are also a small number of fics about him and Aragorn, possibly due to the fact that they have similar characters, and because Faramir accepts and admires him as his leader much more easily than his father or brother, or even some other men of Gondor.
- Boromir and Faramir, inktober art trade with Dee :3 by chechula (16 October 2016) 
- Faramir and Éowyn because I like these two very very much by s-u-w-i (17 July 2015)
- Where the Grass Grows Green (ao3 link) by Ragnelle. Sauron regains the Ring at Mt. Doom and subjugates most of Middle-earth, but a few still resist him. Also features Aragorn and Éomer.
- The Stonework was Admirable by Culumacilinte, Faramir/Eowyn
- The Gleaming Road by melblue, Faramir/Eomer
- A Day Without Sunshine by eyeus, Faramir/Boromir modern AU
- Swinderniana by yeaka, Faramir/Aragorn