Engage! (Star Trek zine published by U.S.S. Destiny)
|Publisher:||U.S.S. Destiny, a fan club out of Northern Ireland|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Engage! is a gen, mixed Trek fan club zine published in the UK.
- has an article by Ruairi McDonald about warp speed
Engage! 7 was published around August 1994 and contains 55 pages. (NOTE: while the content in this issue is accurate, this may be a different issue than #7. If someone has more information about how this issue, please move and edit.)
- the club president says membership "still hovers around the healthy figure of 200"
- advancement quiz questions and answers
- comments by Patricia Whiteside on attending club meetings
- Beware! Cyrus 5, fiction by Tom Ferguson
- descriptions by Mark Rooney and Victor Stephens of a fan club bowling party on the 23rd of June, includes photo
- many comments about the movie "Star Trek: Generations" and of Captain Kirk's death
- a reader has a LoC in which he says an article about Dungeons and Dragons from an earlier issue was biased and poorly written
- Wesley and Me, an article by Mark Rooney regarding standing up for the much-maligned character of Wesley Crusher
- Miles O'Brien: A Legend in the Making, article by John Feerick
- Commander Riker's Amazing Childhood, speculative article by Eamon Watters
- Dawn's Early Light, TNG fiction by Victor Stephens
- copy of a post card, dated March 4, 1994, from Joan Verba telling the club they would be listed in the spring directory of the Welcommittee
- Klingon Culture, article by Richard Johnston
- fans' memories regarding their memories and recollections of Gene Roddenberry and his death and legacy
- four short pro book reviews
- a parody advice column: "Dear Deanna, The Interstellar Agony Aunt" (new to this issue)
- another installment by Victor Stephens of "Surf's Up" (reader has the choice of three "endings")
Engage! 8 was published in December 1994 and contains 60 pages.
- it lists the 10 monthly meetings (all January 2) at the York Hotel in Belfast
- articles and small bits written by David Murphy, Victor Stephens, others
- the final part of the story by Mark Rooney: "Surf's Up"
- "Christmas Poem," by Victor Stephens
- Twenty Reasons Why Captain Kirk is Better Than Picard
- a page-long article about how to write a letter for a letter campaign
- The Role of Security, article by Matt Johnston
- a quiz by Steve Courts
- Star Trek news around London area
- Q'arol, uncredited Deep Space Nine fiction
- there is a page-long update by Alan Sewell on the fan club's year in review
- Clue Q, by Steve Courts (comparing some pro novels and determining canon)
- Borgmanion Rhapsody, an uncredited filk
- a parody advice column: "Dear Deanna, The Interstellar Agony Aunt"
- What is Role Playing?, by Matt Johnson
- The Greatest Captain by Richard Thornton (clue: it's Captain Kirk)
- The Destiny Incident, fiction by Richard Thorton
- Spock, the Final Frontier, an article by Steve Courts about Star Trek action figures
- "Duty," a long, uncredited story starring Kira and Quark)
- The Ferengi Rules of Acquisition, a list of greedy rules utilizing episode titles
- an uncredited con report for IreCon #4 (September 3, 1994)
- a con report by Denis Rush for DestinyCon: A great moment in the life of any Star Trek fan would be to attend a convention where the actual stars of the series would be the convention guests. On my trip to America during the summer I attended such a convention.