|Date(s):||September 19, 1994 - April 2, 2009|
|Country of Origin:||United States|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
ER follows the inner life of the emergency room (ER) of fictional County General Hospital in Chicago, Illinois, and various critical issues faced by the room's physicians and staff.
- Dr. Mark Greene
- Dr. Doug Ross
- Dr. Susan Lewis
- John Carter
- Dr. Peter Benton
- Dr. Kerry Weaver
- Dr. Luka Kovač
- Dr. Abby Lockhart
- Dr. Elizabeth Corday
- Dr. Robert Romano
- Dr. Greg Pratt
- Dr. Archie Morris
- Dr. Neela Rasgotra
- Dr. Ray Barnett
- Samantha Taggart
- Tony Gates
- Dr. Catherine Banfield
A fan in 2015 wrote:
As far as I know, there are no fanzines totally devoted to ER fan fiction. There are probably some ER fan fiction stories that have been included in fanzines, but since I've never bought a fanzine, I don't know for certain.
With regard to ER slash fan fiction, the first writer to really make a mark in that genra was WPAdmirer, with her "Chicago" series of stories featuring John Carter and Walter Skinner from "The X-Files" (http://hometown.aol.com/wpadmirer/). A lot of the early ER fan fiction archives are now closed, so finding dates for them and the stories posted there might be difficult, but I know that ER fan fiction predates my first story, which was written back in 1998 - and which was NOT slash (so you all can stop laughing now), but was a Carter/Anna Del Amico story, "The Man Who Held Her Heart."
I haven't checked out all of the slash archives for ER fan fiction, but I have the general impression that there's a bit more femslash out there than m/m slash. I do run a yahoo group for male slash, ER Realm Of Slash (ERROS), and it's been around since October 21, 2000. A trip through the archives here at a.t.e.creative should give you the date when this community was begun -- I can remember it being started, but can't remember the date <g>....
I know that her having the guts to post ER slash was what helped me get up my nerve to post my stories <g>. I think that WP posted here, at a.t.e.c., from the beginning, but that was sooo long ago, that I don't really trust my memory. You might have better luck with her posting dates on some of the X-Files slash sites (I know she was nominated for at least one award in the X-Files fandom for that series)....
The first fem slash stories that I remember seeing on the internet were stories featuring Maggie Doyle, who was the first character that was openly gay on the show. Of course, once the whole Kerry Weaver/Kim Legaspi relationship happened, a lot more fem slash was written, and not just for Kerry/Kim, but for other female characters from the show as well. I have a web site for ERROS, and in the links section are the ER femslash sites that I know about (www.errealmofslash.com), but I don't think that those sites have the early Maggie Doyle stories. I remember seeing those on a Jorja Fox site, but it's not one I bookmarked....
ERFANFICTIONZONE is a yahoo group that has a huge archive of fan fiction. They've been around since August 6, 2000. Another group that I'm a member of (also at yahoo groups), is Noahfics, which hosts fan fiction that's based on any character by Noah Wyle (most of the fics are ER) and it was started April 20, 1999. I remember there being a Kerry Weaver group from around that time period (1999/2000) as well, but I have no idea if it's still around (the URL I had for the web archive is no longer valid)....
Trends? Well, I can't really say that the ER fan fiction community has shrunk, because it's never been huge to begin with <g>. Doug and Carol stories were very popular up to the time that the show reunited the couple. After Kerry Weaver became a more featured character, stories about her past were popular for a while. More of the femslash was written after Kerry and Kim became an item, although not all of it was Kerry/Kim, as I mentioned before. The majority of the m/m slash features John Carter, although other authors have made valiant attempts to write more stories for the other men <g>. There are several authors who aren't really members of the ER fan fiction community, but who mainly write in other fandoms (with this, I'm not talking about people who started out writing ER fics and have moved on to other fandoms, but rather people who were writing other fandoms and have also written some pretty damn good ER fan fics).
Fics exploring the past of Luka Kovac are very popular (see http://lukafic.tripod.com/) and have been ever since his character first appeared on the show.Definitely nothing in the realm of MPreg <g>. Adult centered ER fan fiction has been around for a while, and there's even an archive for it, although I don't know how many people post their stories there lately (http://www.geocities.com/nfanfic/). There's no date on the site as to when it began, but Ruth, the owner, can hopefully help you with that. 
- Take Two Doctors and Call Me in the Morning by huntersglenn, Luka/Carter (Dec 2004)
- A Masochist's Glut of an Affair by cloudillusion, Luka/Abby (May 2005)
- Like a Bad Habit by spyglass_ and starfishmedley, Carter/Abby (Jul 2005)
- How Come No One Told Me You Were Such A Badass? by fc2001, Neela/Ray (Apr 2006)
Fan Fiction Archives
- ER Fanfiction (Archive rescued by OoCities.org.)
- ER Pandemonium (Rescued by OoCities.org.)
- ER Realm of Slash aka ERROS (Archive for stories by the ERROS Yahoo! Group.)
- The Lounge (Organized by season and author.)
- Luka Kovač Fan Fiction (Devoted to Dr Luka Kovač, Goran Visnjic's ER character.)
- ER Realm of Slash
- Golden Kingdom of ER
- Whatever Weaver Wants "Whatever Weaver Wants". Archived from the original on 2009-01-03. Description: a f/f slash list, centering around Drs. Kerry Weaver and Kim Legaspi, but also inclusive of other Kerry Weaver/character stories (i.e. Abby Lockhart, Susan Lewis, Sandy Lopez, etc.) "Whatever Weaver wants, Weaver gets. This is a group for Kerry Weaver fans who are supportive of the f/f relationships she is in, has been in, and could be in. Let's talk, let's discuss, let's write fanfiction! ;) I have one request, however. If you join this list, please be gay-friendly. This is not the list for intolerance, inflammatory commentary, or hate mail." (created November 2000)
- ER Guild Fanfic "ER Guild Fanfic". Archived from the original on 2003-08-13. Description: "A great place to post all of your writing about ER. Here you can expose your work to other writers and fans, to be critiqued, and get feedback. No flames or non-fanfic related discussions please. NC-17, slash, rape, etc... are allowed, but *must* contain a warning. To post your story, send a message to [email protected]" (created May 2000)
- comments by Cathy in an conversation at ER Fan Fiction History, May 3, 2005