|Alternative name(s):||ExR, e/R, E/R, enjoltaire, granjolras, permets-tu?|
|Gender category:||M/M slash|
|Canonical?:||Up for interpretation|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Enjolras/Grantaire is the most popular ship in the modern Les Misérables fandom, though it only started gaining prominence in the 10s, particularly after the 2012 movie adaptation.
While Enjolras/Grantaire has generally been regarded as non-canonical, there are those who argue that Hugo always meant to suggest homoeroticism. Within the book, Enjolras and Grantaire are compared to a number of literary homoerotic couples, such as Achilles and Patroclus, and Grantaire is said to "venerate" Enjolras.
some people really think mr vicky hugo, the man himself, was thinking “im gonna compare these two male characters to not only achilles and patroclus, but also orestes and pylades, alexander the great and hephaestion and several other famous gay couples, but, like, heterosexually”…. its gay bitch
In the stage musical, the subtext between Enjolras and Grantaire has gradually been played up more, with further interactions between the two, including hugging, hair-stroking and hand kisses, depending on the actors. Thus the ship has arguably been canon in many stage productions since the mid-2010s.
- Pining Grantaire is an extremely widespread fanon as it's more or less considered canon by many fans, even non-shippers.
- Oblivious Enjolras, ie a Enjolras who doesn't notice Grantaire's obvious pining, is a popular trope. Pining Enjolras is the aversion, where Enjolras is either the one pining or it's a case of mutual pining.
- Fake Dating is also a popoular trope.
- Grantaire will often call Enjolras "Apollo", which is likely to annoy or at least bewilder him.
- Enjolras finding Grantaire's sketch book or studio full of sketches, drawings or paintings of him.
- Apollo by lannisterrss, a popular college AU.
- World Ain't Ready by idiopathicsmile, a high school AU set in the early 2000s where Enjolras and Grantaire pretend to date.