|See also:||Hobbits, Dwarves, mpreg, Born from Stone, Cabbage Patch Hobbits|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
The term "Dwobbit" first appeared at the beginning of 2013. The earliest use in a prompt on hobbit_kink was Thorin/Bilbo - Lots of Dwobbits running around Erebor (post and/or present mpreg), posted January 1, 2013 to prompt post 2. A fill for a different prompt on January 5 was titled Dwobbits or Quarterlings?, also posted to prompt post 2. The same fill was posted to AO3, where it was likely the first work on that site to use the term "Dwobbit".
Usage in Fanworks
In fanworks, most dwobbits are Bilbo's children, or the children of other Company members and hobbits, canonical or original. Sometimes Bilbo himself is a dwobbit, as in Needle of the Haystack by Aurorealis, or another member of the Company is. The popularity of mpreg in Bilbo ships and Rule 63 for Bilbo help make this trope widespread, to the point where it appears in several fannish usernames.
Common tropes associated with dwobbits include mingling their heritage physically and mentally, dwarves and hobbits both reacting to their existence, the shoe issue, and the lifespan issue. Often, dwobbits in the same family will display different characteristics from each other. Prejudice against dwobbits appears in some works, as in the threats against the royal dwobbits in the Coats and Customs series by imaginary_golux. That series also has dwobbits learning to navigate the social and cultural elements handed down from both hobbit and dwarf culture, inventing something that isn't so much a blending as entirely new.
Archives and Resources
- Dwobbit(s) character tag, Dwobbits freeform tag, and Dwobbit* term search on AO3
- Dwobbits tag on deviantArt
- Dwobbits, Dwobbit Headcanons and Dwobbit Babies on Tumblr
- Dwobbit on hobbit-kink's Pinboard
- Bilbo and Thorin and their dwobbit children by closetshipping
- finally, the last one from the art spam! by ssilcatt
- A New Leaf by PassiveResistance
- Dwobbits or Quarterlings? by verily
- Coats and Customs series by imaginary_golux
- Carving series by sunryder
- Of the Stone of Erebor and the Gardens of the Shire by Triskellion
- Ghivasha by Lobo_Loca
- 70 out of 74 works tagged with Dwobbits on AO3 as of March 25, 2015 were also tagged with Bilbo Baggins. All 74 were tagged with The Hobbit.
- On March 13, 2015, 230 Bilbo/Thorin works were tagged with mpreg out of 5273 works for the ship on AO3. This is a bit over 4.3% of all Bilbo/Thorin works. For comparison, the mpreg powerhouse Derek Hale/Stiles Stilinski only had 2.75% works tagged for mpreg (922 works out of 33,518), and Dean Winchester/Sam Winchester only had a little over 1.9% (263 out of 13,597).
- On April 12, 2015, there were 713 entries tagged with Warning: mpreg on hobbit_kink's Pinboard account. 414 of those (58%) were also tagged with Char: Bilbo.
- On April 12, 2015, 669 works on AO3 were tagged with Female Bilbo (7.7% of the 8693 works in Bilbo Baggins), while 338 works were tagged with Gender or Sex Swap (3.9%).