Cecil Gershwin Palmer
|Name:||Cecil Gershwin Palmer|
|Occupation:||Radio host and Journalist|
|Fandom:||Welcome to Night Vale|
|Other:||Voiced by Cecil Baldwin|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
At times, Cecil will report on events as they are occurring. It is mentioned he often receives faxes and phone calls from listeners on events, as well as updates from his surviving interns out in the field.
He lives in an apartment of currently unknown location in Night Vale, is in a committed relationship with Carlos, and is also mentioned as owning a car.
It's likely that Cecil is, like the majority of Night Vale residents, human, describing himself as such in passing several times. He is also described by both himself and by Kevin, his Desert Bluffs double, as "a man."
He is described from a photograph as being "not too short or tall, not fat or too thin. With hair [resembling Kevin's], a nose [resembling Kevin's] and eyes [resembling Kevin's]." He also wears a vest and tie, at least in the photograph.
In fan art, he is commonly depicted with a third eye on his forehead, and tattooed arms with either runic or "tentacle-like" patterns.
Cecil is a very genial person and seems very well acquainted with the folks about town. But he has something of a dual personality. He can be serious and cheerful by turns, switching between extreme tones at the drop of a hat.
He seems very fond and proud of Night Vale, despite its horrors (many of which he has experienced firsthand) and often provides comfort for the residents of the town during times of uncertainty or danger. Though he is quick to praise the City Council, the Sheriff's Secret Police, and their draconian policies, his views on many social issues seem surprisingly free-willed, and he even occasionally calls out the town's crooked politicians on air, despite the risk of retaliation.
There are times when Cecil's cognitive dissonance becomes obvious. In a set of cassette tapes he made as a teenager, we hear fifteen-year-old Cecil already struggling to rationalize his family's strange behavior towards him, and that struggle continues in his adulthood. It's implied that he's become very good at ignoring the discrepancies in his own memories.
- Carlos is Cecil's current boyfriend.
Cecil fell in love with handsome new scientist in town, Carlos, instantly in the first episode, and Cecil's open and complete adoration for him features prominently on the show, with Cecil frequently gushing in lyrical prose over his beautiful appearance and great intellect. Carlos is initially either unaware of Cecil's affections, or willfully chooses ignores them, only ever contacting Cecil on matters of business. It's only after a near death experience in episode 25 that Carlos finally calls Cecil for "personal reasons" and, after sharing a tender moment together in the Arby's parking lot, the two begin dating.
- Earl Harlan : Earl Harlan was Cecil's childhood best friend. They were in the Night Vale boyscouts together. It is implied that Cecil probably had been (or was about to be) in a relationship with him. Earl grabs Cecil's arm during an interview at the station and sadly tells him, "We could have had something, Cecil. Always remember that." In Homecoming, it is mentioned that Earl and Cecil graduated from Night Vale High School in the same year, though neither could remember a specific year.
- Intern Dana : Cecil seems to have a fond friendship with Intern Dana, the only intern he shows any prolonged concern for, though they relationship becomes strained when she becomes Mayor.
- Old Woman Josie: Cecil and Josie speak like old friends.
Cecil harbors a deep disgust for the following:
- Desert Bluffs, presumably because of town rivalry.
- Steve Carlsberg, who points out the flaws of Night Vale and is stepfather to Cecil's niece, Janice. Steve and Cecil reconcile at least temporarily , although Cecil still expresses disdain for Steve's "stupid ideas about the world."
- Kevin, Cecil's Desert Bluffs counterpart, due to his monstrous nature and affiliation with StrexCorp and Desert Bluffs.