|Date(s):||August 13, 2000-?|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
MediaMiner (also known as MediaMiner.org and MM.org) is a fanfiction and fanart archive that primarily focuses on anime fandoms. It also has information on anime series themselves and forums for discussion of many related topics.
During the early 2000s, it was the default fiction archive for many anime fans, but the site's popularity has waned over time. Some fans attribute this to the old-fashioned, difficult to navigate site structure and layout.
The site had over 130,000 registered users as of January, 2007.
The owners and maintainers paid for the site hosting out of their own pockets. The rest was funded through the sale of merchandise through their CafePress store. Prizes for contests were paid for by administrators connected to the site.
MM.org primarily hosts anime fanfic, but some users also archive other work, particularly fic of Japanese video game series like Final Fantasy. Some of the biggest fanfiction fandoms on the site are:
- InuYasha - 18,675
- Yu-Gi-Oh! - 6,435
- Gundam Wing - 5,959
- Dragon Ball/Z/GTD - 5,125
- Naruto - 5,109
- Yu Yu Hakusho - 5,091
- Sailor Moon - 3,097
- Digimon - 2,749
- Final Fantasy - 2,013
- Weiss Kreuz - 1,628
- Ranma 1/2 - 1,376
- Pokémon - 1,355
- Rurouni Kenshin - 1,349
- Fruits Basket - 1,302
- Card Captor Sakura - 1,257
- Fullmetal Alchemist - 1,093
Some of the biggest fanart fandoms on the site are:
- InuYasha - 2,204
- Naruto - 848
- Dragon Ball/Z/GT - 755
- Yu-Gi-Oh! - 719
- Yu Yu Hakusho - 509
- Final Fantasy Series - 491
- Harry Potter - 482
Original art and art based on specific pieces of fanfiction are also very popular.
Fanfiction contests have included:
- 2007 Maximum Challenge Contest
- 2006 Trick or Treat Autumn Mini Fiction Contest
- 2006 Make a Wish Summer Mini-Fiction Contest
- 2006 Maximum Challenge Contest
- 2006 Sacrificial Spring Minific Contest
- 2005 Winter Wonderland Minific Contest
- 2005 Action Autumn Minific Contest
- Summer Stars Contest 2005
- Evil Spring Contest 2005
- MediaMiner's Third Annual Big Ass Fanfiction Contest
In late 2010/early 2011, the site crashed. Problems took some time to resolve. As of 2011, some users are wondering whether the site might be past its prime. Other users feel the lower site traffic is a symptom of a general trend in fandom towards less public, centralized spaces.
As of early 2014, the site started showing additional problems, including author profiles devoid of information, story titles replaced by strings of gibberish and, reportedly, an inability of authors to log in, update existing stories or add new ones. These problems, compounded by the seeming absence of the site's staff, appear to have lead to a string of temporary crashes that have made access to the archive intermittent and unreliable.
- "This site is home to over 130,000 registered members. Though only a portion of these members are active, they post stories and art on a daily basis. Over 100 fictions are updated daily; this does NOT include new stories, only existing ones." -- Fanilia in a post on the official MediaMiner blog. Originally posted January 31, 2007. (Accessed September 15, 2010.)
- See the lists of most-visited fanfiction and most-visited fan art.
- This is based on the numbers listed in the fanfiction dropdowns as of February 10th, 2010.
- Based on the fanart index by fandom.
- How often do you MMORG? on the General Mayhem forum. Posted March 19, 2011. (Accessed April 6, 2011.)