|Country of Origin:||United States|
|External Links:||Marvel Comics official site Marvel Fic Index|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
(This article is about fandom surrounding Marvel comics. For fandoms centered on movie versions of Marvel properties, see X-Men Movieverse, Iron Man Movieverse and Thor. See also The Avengers and X-Men.)
Marvel Comics fandom was active on the internet before fandom became a presence on LiveJournal, existing primarily on mailing lists. One of the largest sites, CFAN, was maintained from approximately April 1999 to June 2003.
Marvel fandom is now much smaller than it was in its heyday, although films such as X-Men and Iron Man have brought many media fans (who were not previously comics fans) into the fandom. Many media fans were also brought into the fandom by Joss Whedon's writing stints on Astonishing X-Men and Runaways.
Outside Mainstream Continuity
The Marvel Ultimate Universe universe is an imprint that was launched in 2000. It basically "reset" many of Marvel's key titles from the beginning, starting over with a clean slate and showing the characters in high school and college, gaining their powers and encountering each other and antagonists for the first time.
However, this was not just a simple re-telling; many changes were made as the stories progressed, resulting in a truly alternate version of the Marvel universe. Some changes were made in order to simplify confusing canon, such as Spider-Man's Clone Saga. Some characters were altered to create greater diversity; the Ultimate version of Nick Fury is African-American and Piotr Rasputin is gay. Other changes were more like complete re-imaginings of the characters, such as Orson Scott Card's work on Ultimate Iron Man.
- Steve Rogers/Tony Stark (this pairing gained popularity during the Civil War series)
- Tony Stark/Pepper Potts (this pairing gained popularity after the Iron Man movie)
- Phil Coulson/Clint Barton (this pairing gained popularity due to the Marvel Movies)
- Clint Barton/Natasha Romanova (gained popularity after The Avengers film)
- Thor/Loki (popularity gained during Thor and The Avengers films)
- Xavin/Karolina Dean (of Runaways; this is a canon pairing between a shapeshifter and a lesbian character)
- Billy Kaplan/Teddy Altman (of Young Avengers; this is a canon gay pairing)
Pairings that were popular in the past have included:
- Gambit/Rogue (hugely popular for some time, thanks to a UST filled on-again-off-again canon relationship)
- Wolverine/Rogue (a pairing which owes most of its popularity to the first three X-Men movies)
- Rictor/Shatterstar (The New Mutants, X-Force)
- Northstar/Iceman (this pairing gained popularity after Northstar, a canonically gay character, admitted he had a crush on Iceman)
Other popular Marvel pairings include Scott/Jean, Scott/Emma, Tony Stark/James Rhodes, Kitty Pryde/Piotr Rasputin, Kitty Pryde/Pete Wisdom, Peter Parker/Mary Jane Watson, Peter Parker/Matt Murdock, Matt Murdock/Foggy Nelson, Tony Stark/Whoever Tony Stark Wants, Steve Rogers/Bucky Barnes.
ExamplesSome non-Steve Tony and non-Avengers examples should be added
- All That Remains by kijikun - Tony becomes the guardian of a nine-year-old girl who has spent her short life being trained as a weapon. As he learns to be a father he has to deal with the repercussions of the SHRA and the unexpected return of Steve Rogers. Kidfic set post-Civil War in a universe where Secret Invasion never happened. (Marvel 616, 2008/2009)
- A Meeting of Minds by CrimsonQuills - telepathic bond. (Marvel 616, 2008)
- Resurrection, Reconstruction, and Redemption by Elspethdixon & Seanchai. First novel-length Steve/Tony fic. A fix-it Civil War fic. (Marvel 616, 2007)
- Secrets of a Successful Marriage by valtyr - Tony Stark is secretly the supervillain known as Iron Man and doesn't know that his husband Steve is Captain America. (Marvel 616 AU, 2011)
- When the Lights Go On Again by Elspethdixon & Seanchai - novel length story with a strong plot and use of canon. (Marvel 616, 2008-2009)
- If I only could by TheMadMoro (1:40). Tony Stark's reaction to death of Captain America. (10/2011)
- Sleepwalker by pencilnecklace (3:30). Civil War slash vid. (07/2011)
- Marvel 616 tag at the AO3
- Outside the Lines (all comics based fic was allowed, but OTL was dominated by fic for Marvel, and in particular the X-Men.)
- Marvel Comics Fanfiction, on Livejournal.
- Marvel_slash, on Livejournal.
- General Italian community, on Livejournal.
- Marve_icons, an Icon community on Livejournal.
- Rare Marvel Pairs, a Rare Pairing community on Livejournal.
- Marvel-Kink, a Kink Meme on Livejournal.
- Marvelkink, another Kink Meme on Livejournal.
- Marvel Fanworks on Dreamwidth.
- Marvel Rare Pairs on Dreamwidth.
- Marvelfic index This Livejournal community is meant to function as a repository of links for Marvel Comics-based fic on the LJ, excluding X-Men fic. It has not been updated since January 2007.