Clint Barton/Phil Coulson
|Pairing:||Clint Barton/Phil Coulson|
|Alternative name(s):||Bowtie, Blackhawk, Phlint, Shieldhusbands|
|Fandom:||The Avengers (Marvel), Marvel Cinematic Universe|
|Archives:||Clint/Coulson @ AO3|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
They are the third most tagged MCU pairing on AO3 although they only interact for 47 seconds in the movie Thor and were later featured together in a few pages of panels in one of the Avengers prequel comics.
Clint/Coulson fic was posted on AO3 as early as June 2011 after the Thor film was released, but the fandom took off in anticipation of The Avengers film in early 2012, and exploded after the movie's release.
Prior to Agents of SHIELD premiered in September 2013, Clint/Phil was a popular pairing for the fandom despite the fact that there are currently no plans for Clint to be on the show. The pairing is still popular in that fandom.
Six Degrees Influences
There have been several fics that reference previous roles for both Jeremy Renner and Clark Gregg; crossovers with Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (in which Renner played the spy character of William Brandt) tend to be the most common. Some notable examples are the Just Twinny verse, in which Brandt and Clint Barton are look-alikes but not related; Every Hero Needs an Origin Story, which references Gregg's previous role as Mike Casper on The West Wing; and the one out of many and all of them the same series, in which all of Jeremy Renner's previous character roles have been Clint Barton undercover.
Common Tropes in Fanworks
- Fix-it fics for the big spoiler in the movie quickly became one of the most common tropes in the pairing after the release of The Avengers.
- 10, 9, 8, car by pollyrepeat. Clint was pretty sure he'd seen this movie. Like a lot of things since he'd joined the Avengers, it had been a lot funnier when it wasn't his life. (Because every pairing needs a Groundhog Day AU.) (podfic by aphelant)
- Hollow Your Bones Like a Bird's by scifigrl47. In the wake of the Chitauri invasion, Clint Barton wakes up in a world that he very nearly had a hand in destroying. And confronting a loss he might not be able to cope with. (This is a classic example of the angsty fix-it.) (podfic by hananobira)
- Love in the Three-Ninth Kingdom by lavvyan. Clint and Coulson are in mutually unrequited love. Natasha has no patience for their drama. And if the world were a nicer place to live in, she wouldn't have to deal with it. Alas. (Fluffy get-together fic with extra pining.) (podfic by kalakirya)
- Pigeonville, USA. by sheafrotherdon. Day 214 on the campaign trail of Steve Rogers for President. Twenty-sixteen's turning out to be a hell of a year. (A good early-written (pre-Avengers) story. Very sweet. Phil Coulson is the security chief for Steve Rogers' presidential campaign.) (podfic by regonym)
- Some People Just Collect Stamps by Closer. Phil Coulson wakes up in a hospital bed. Well, damn. (An excellent post-Avengers fix-it fic.) (podfic by recordscratch)
- Stockholm Syndrome and other drugs by AlchemyAlice. In which Coulson is his frighteningly competent self, but this time, the Avengers notice. (This was one of the first Coulson-centric fics out there. Written pre-Avengers.) (podfic by kalakirya)
- A Matter of Proportions by sirona. A Clint Barton/Phil Coulson story with delicious suit porn. (podfic by liannabob)
- Won't You Please (Leave Your Mark On Me) by torakowalski. A Clint Barton/Phil Coulson story exploring bondage and submission.
- From the Ashes by msraven, part of the Phoenix Rising, Rated Mature, Clint finally meets the infamous Phil Coulson about an hour after arriving at HQ. It doesn't go well. (An AU backstory of how Clint meets Phil)(podfic by griffing07)
- Lucky Pennies by IamShadow21, In Clint Barton's official SHIELD file, there is a supplemental form with a string of letters and numbers indicating a superhuman ability. On it, there are two pieces of information. The first is 'Asset-Reported Ability (unverified)'. The second is 'Combat/Field Applicable Ability Y/N'. 'N' is circled.
- Track This Thread by rageprufrock, Even when Phil Coulson was doing something ridiculously, embarrassingly, crushingly human, he was still a flawless, seamless black box of a spook. (podfic by paraka)
- Clint. Phil. Glasses. by Marie. "As Marie put it, 'Jey flash-ficced, I speed-painted.'"
- Essouffle's 'clintcoulson' tag on tumblr has some lovely C/C fanart.
- GilesFarnaby has created quite a bit of awesome art for the pairing.
- rascal paradyne] creates high-quality C/C comics and other fanart.
- Clint/Coulson Wallpaper by freakshowbaby.
- Everyday Superhero by andromeda590. "An early (pre-movie) songvid, combining various Jeremy Renner & Clark Gregg appearances."
- Professions written by gqgqqt, read by regonym. Hooker AU.
- The Loner and the Lighthousman written by sidneysussex, read by regonym. Fishing AU.
- I am the Very Model of a Hawkeye/Coulson Devotee by dizmo. A filk set to the 'Major-General's Song'.
Archives and Fannish Links
- Clint/Coulson: Archer/Agent Love, a LJ community
- Clint/Coulson Prompt Meme, another LJ community
- Avengers Kinkmeme, LJ kink meme that features Clint/Phil.
- fuckyeahclintcoulson (Tumblr)
- Clint/Coulson Fic Finders A Tumblr that offers assistance in finding C/C fic you may have read and later lost