See also Kirk/Spock (TOS)
|Alternative name(s):||K/S, sometimes Spirk, even more rarely and often humorously Spork and Kock|
|Fandom:||Star Trek (2009)|
|Prevalence:||Most common pairing in the fandom|
|Archives:||The Kirk/Spock Fanfiction Archive|
|Other:||see also Kirk/Spock (TOS)|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Kirk/Spock is one of the main pairings in the reboot Star Trek fandom. However, it is not as dominant a pairing as Kirk/Spock were in Star Trek (TOS) fandom; both the new Kirk and the new Spock are frequently paired with other characters.
While Kirk/Spock are best friends in the original series, they start out with a different dynamic in Star Trek (2009). One of TPTB jokingly describes it as a love story but he is not far off from how Kirk/Spock fans interpreted the relationship between the characters in the movie:
This first movie is just a love story between Spock and Kirk. It has all the beats of a romantic comedy where they meet, they don't get along, they totally hate each other, and then they get into a situation where they kind of need each other, and by the end Spock walks onto the bridge and he's like, 'Let's fuck!'
- Mindmeld Gave Me Feelings
- Spock Prime meddling
- Met as kids/teenagers
- AUs (including Movie Fusions, other realities)
- TOS episodes rebooted (particularly Amok Time)
- Pon Farr
- Aliens Made Them Do It
- Almost Domestic by barrowjane (curtainfic?) (2009)
- Atlas by Angel Baby1. (popular longfic on FF.net) (2009-2010)
- A Beautiful(ly Illogical) Mind by waldorph, AU, partly fusion with Good Will Hunting. (2009)
- Home by Lanaea. A WIP that is a popular lengthy fic on FF.net (2009)
- Leave No Soul Behind by whochick, AU (or rather, Alternate Reality) in which Kirk, Spock, and most of the rest of the Enterprise's crew wind up in the Federation's Emergency Personnel Ambulance Service, a search-and-rescue operation semi-independent from Starfleet (because Starfleet kind of sucks). In the end Kirk and Spock are still the only hope of the Federation in the fight against Nero, it just takes 260,000 words, epic space battles, politics, and amazing character development to get them there. (2010-2011)
- Looking for a Place to Happen by wakestosleep, AU in which the Vulcans conquered Earth for its own (rational, repressed, non-violent) good, and Kirk and Spock (naturally) run away to be space pirates. (2009)
- Love is Strange by garryowen, AU/fusion with Dirty Dancing, written for the Star Trek Big Bang 2009.
- Of Sentinels and Anchors by corpus_invictus, AU in which virgin!Spock never learns to control his telepathy or feelings but medically suppresses them (until Kirk starts acting as a mood stabilizer or anchor) and then one time huddling for warmth while trapped with Kirk, he goes into Pon Farr. (2009)
- Of Twin Stars and Other Eccentric Satellites by misswinterhill, action/adventure story written for the 2011 Star Trek Reverse Bang.
- On Restless Pinions by what_alchemy. "When Stonn goes into pon farr, T'Pring must break her bond with Spock, which has unforeseen consequences." Details Spock's experience growing up on Vulcan, his bonding with T'Pring, and his burgeoning relationship with Kirk, written for Star Trek Big Bang 2011.
- Once Upon a Time (A Fairy-Tale Love Story) by littlebirdtold. Alternate realities -- one without the Federation and one in which Spock is a Vulcan royal -- collide, and end up with Kirk as a pretty princess. (2010)
- Only Good for Legends by leupagus, AU where Detective Spock, born on Vulcan and resident of San Francisco, is assigned to the Midwest police bureau, where he meets (and slowly falls for) Kirk. (2009-2010)
- The Prophecy of Apollo by ladyblahblah - WIP - Ancient Vulcan AU in which space mercenary Kirk willy-nilly becomes consort to Spock, son of the warlord Sarek. (2010)
- Stars Apart, Shine the Same by sineala, Spock Prime mindmeld issues. (2009)
- So Wise We Grow by Deastar, kidfic written for Star Trek Big Bang 2009.
- Streetlight People by ladyblahblah, hookerfic written for Star Trek Big Bang 2010.
- strive seek find yield by waldorph, amazingly successful royalty AU fusion with The Young Victoria, written for Star Trek Big Bang 2010.
- Through Blind Men's Eyes by ladyblahblah, bodyswap fic with bonus Pon Farr.
- Veritas (Star Trek story) by TheProblematique Captain James T. Kirk and Lieutenant Commander Spock are hereby charged with negligence and wanton misconduct due to their emotional compromise with each other. And therefore placed on trial. Interesting incorporation of TOS canon into the story. (2010-2012)
- You'll Get There in the End (It Just Takes a While) (Pon Farr story) and its epic sequel War Games by Seperis. The Federation and the Romulan Empire have been on the verge of war for what sometimes feels like forever; this is the place where what passes for peace might end.
- The Test by heresluck visually recreates a common trope in Reboot K/S fic, where Kirk accidentally learns about his alternate self's future relationship with Spock during the mindmeld on Delta Vega.
- Pokerface by talitha78
- Sleeping with Ghosts by Butterfly
- Must Be Dreaming by Bluefairy1113
- Pieces by DarlaPr0duction
- Forget by DarlaPr0duction
- We Are One by Kradashi
- Radar by bionic1013
- Blind Sensation by latenightarting (Mirrorverse, companion artwork to the story Speaking in Tongues by Kairi)
- Haunted by cirrocumulus
- Illogical Responseby lizardspots
- Mind Meld by jou
- Thermogenesis by latenightarting, illustration for the K/S epic Observations by jAnon
- Strip Chess by trolleys
- Spork! An Erotic Love Story by cirrocumulus & jiaren_shadow. The Star Trek audiobook edited together in such a way as to make it sound like Kirk and Spock are having sex. 3:16 minutes of Zachary Quinto (Spock in Star Trek XI) reading explicit K/S fiction. Sort of.
Some fans ship reboot Kirk with the (original, TOS) alternate timeline Spock from the future, commonly referred to as "Spock Prime" (and unfortunately not only in headers, even though this fandom name convention spill-over throws some fans out of the stories ).
- Inextricable by lunabee34. Kirk kinda misses some of what his alternate timeline version had and connects with Spock Prime.
- Endless Circle by pantswarrior. reboot!Kirk is in a relationship with reboot!Spock though not yet bonded, but when Spock Prime asks him to help him through his last Pon Farr it seems like a good idea to everyone.
- And Cried Out His Name in Joy by pervyficgirl. Kirk and Spock Prime accidentally bonded on Delta Vega and that was okay until Pon Farr hits.
- Works tagged James T. Kirk/Spock Prime at AO3
- Kirk/Spock Slash Community (Livejournal). Allows both TOS and AOS fanworks.
- Kirk/Spock Slash Community (Dreamwidth). Allows both TOS and AOS fanworks.
- Spock and Kirk Slash (Livejournal). Allows TOS, AOS, and RPF fanworks.
Archives and Challenges
- Kirk/Spock Archive
- Kirk/Spock Advent Calendar - 2002- present (allows both TOS and AOS fanworks)
- K/S Valentine - 2010 - present (allows both TOS and AOS fanworks)
- K/S Big Bang - 2012 (allows TOS, AOS, and RPF fanworks)
- ontd_startrek. Interview w/ Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci and Damon Lindelof @ Hero Complex, citing Damon Lindelof in a Collider Interview (at ca. 28:30 min), from a talk at the LA Hero Complex Film Festival. (Accessed 18 June 2011)
- Ratcreature. my pet peeve of the day, posted 21 Jul 2009. Accessed 26 Jul 2010
- Kirk/Spock Community Profile on Livejournal. (Accessed 19 June 2012)
- Kirk/Spock Community Profile (Dreamwidth). (Accessed 19 June 2012)
- Profile (Livejournal). (Accessed 16 July 2012).