strive seek find yield
|Star Trek Fanfiction|
|Title:||strive seek find yield|
|Length:||~68,200 words main story, plus ~9,000 word missing scene|
|Genre:||fusion, AU, royalty AU, virgin!fic, slash, Kirk/Spock|
|Fandom:||Star Trek (2009), Star Trek TOS, The Young Victoria|
|External Links:||on AO3, on DW|
Click here for related articles on Fanlore.
strive seek find yield, a.k.a. Spoctoria, is a fusion of the reboot Star Trek (with many references to the original series) and The Young Victoria, a film chronicling the early years of Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom's reign and her marriage to Prince Albert. Spock is Victoria, Kirk is Albert. Yes, you read that right.
The entire main cast of the Star Trek (2009) movie makes an appearance, as do many characters from Star Trek TOS. It is set in an alternate universe where the Federation is a monarchy with an entrenched, rather inbred aristocracy.
- Author's Summary: Spock is heir to the Federation throne, Jim is Prince of America because his fucking brother abdicated, and the Klingons are on the verge of blowing shit up--a love story.
Spock and Kirk first meet after Spock, in his role of heir to the throne, pays a post-disaster state visit to Tarsus IV, where he briefly meets shell-shocked young survivor James Kirk and never forgets him. When Spock succeeds to the throne, he selects Jim as his dance partner for the first dance of his Coronation Ball. Naturally (in a universe where James Kirk is involved) this leads to Jim "assisting" Spock with sex which leads to an affair (a little long-distance while Kirk is in command of the Enterprise) which leads to an engagement (ditto) which leads to a surprisingly successful marriage. All while Kirk is working on beating the Klingons, to fulfill the offer he made Spock (instead of declarations of courtly love) that Kirk would win Spock a war against the Klingons if Spock made peace with the Romulans.
The story features many entertaining secondary characters such as Sybok, T'Pring (Countess of T'Paal and Spock's chamberlain) -- affectionately nicknamed "T'Pringles", Uhura (Duchess of Nairobi and Spock's social secretary), Christopher Pike, Number One, Gary Mitchell, Winona Kirk and Sam Kirk, and of course Bones, Sulu, Chekov, Scotty, and the rest of the Enterprise crew.
Recs and Reviews
- "An AU that is, according to the author, "a very strange hybrid of The Young Victoria and AOS". This fic is nothing short of epic -- from the word count to the blazing relationship between Kirk and Spock to the absolute (and fantastic) insanity of the supporting characters. Funny, passionate, and an altogether satisfying read."
- "This is one of the best Reboot AU's out there. It's long and plotty and totally Spock and Jim, loving each other, hurting each other, and fighting everyone else for the right to do so."
- "It's so much fun! Spock, as King of the Universe! And Kirk, as his disreputable and unsuitable minor-Prince suitor. LOL. You should all read it at once."
- "This is crack!fic done perfectly. I think I reread this fic about once a month because it's truly that good. "
Resources and References
- The Young Victoria article at Wikipedia
- "and then, when I refused to write the wedding, [screamlet] wrote it her own damn self." in notes at the story masterpost by waldorph, 11 October 2010 (Accessed 11 April 2011)
- Strive seek find yield Audiobook at Audio Archive (Accessed 13 June 2012)
- 18 October 2010 Kirk/Spock recs at LJ comm crackenterprise (Accessed 11 April 2011)
- rec by mickanick at Crack Van, 31 October 2010 (Accessed 11 April 2011)
- reccing like the wiiind by cupidsbow, 11 November 2010 (Accessed 11 April 2011)
- rec at fanfiction-rec, 7 January 2011 (Accessed 11 April 2011)