Star Trek RPF
|Name(s):||Star Trek RPF|
|Scope/Focus:||RPF fandom from both the original series (TOS) and the reboot movie.|
|Date(s):||1966 to present|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Star Trek RPF is the fandom for RPF (Real Person Fiction) - although reboot fans more commonly use the alternative RPS (Real Person Slash) - which centers around the lives of the actors from both the original series and the reboot movie.
While RPF in Star Trek TOS mostly centered on Shatner/Nimoy (fondly known as Shatnoy) and has been around as long as TOS slash, it has been a largely niche section of Star Trek slash fandom that remained underground until the early 2000s.  The fandom has its basis in the very close friendship shared by William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy, that has spanned more than 40 years.
It was with the release of the reboot movie that Star Trek RPF really took off. The most popular pairing is, by far, Pine/Quinto (widely known by their portmanteau Pinto), who are the RPS counterpart of the very popular reboot Kirk/Spock.
The popularity of Pinto is likely fueled by the fact that Quinto has gone on record as saying that he and Pine have become close off-camera. This is attested by the fact that the pair have been seen socializing together both in Los Angeles  and New York . Further speculation by Pinto fans dwells on the fact that both actors live near each other in the same neighborhood of Los Angeles and neither actor appears to have a partner - all the women linked to Pine since the release of the movie have been transient and Quinto was widely rumored to be gay (publicly supporting gay rights, and in October 2011, Quinto officially came out as gay).
While less common, other favored RPS pairings continue to include Shatner/Nimoy, as well as Urban/Yelchin and Pine/Urban. Given the enormous popularity of the Kirk/McCoy pairing in reboot fandom -- in no small part due the fans' admiration of the actors themselves -- the RPS fandom for the two actors is surprisingly far less widely supported. Possible reasons may be that Karl Urban is married with children, and also when not filming, continues to live in his native New Zealand.
In a curious twist, there have been a number of RPF AU stories written in reboot fandom, in which the actors are placed in different settings, leading different lives, but are still recognizable as far as their public persona allows. This is distinct from one particular genre of reboot AU stories in which members of the crew are removed from the Star Trek universe and placed in a contemporary setting, leading 'normal' -- and for Spock, human -- lives.
- kirk_mccoy (Primarily Kirk/McCoy, but also some Pine/Urban)
- pinecity (Pine/Urban)
- pinto_fic (Pine/Quinto)
- ontd_pinto (Pine/Quinto
- shatnoy_rpf (Shatner/Nimoy)
- st_rpf_marysue (Actors/Mary Sue OFC)
- trek_rpf_kink meme
- The Adventures of the Amazing Pinto Stoner Dudes (Pine/Quinto)
- Inhabiting (Pine/Quinto)
- Any Way You Want Me (Shatner/Nimoy)
- You Know I Don't Ask For Much (Pine/Quinto)
- L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux (Pine/Quinto)
- We Don't Talk About Love (Pine/Urban)
- 46th and Pine: A West Philadelphia Love Story (Pine/Quinto)
- Captain Spanky (Pine/Quinto)
- Let Your Dreams Run Free (Pine/Yelchin)
- Take Me Out (Pine/Quinto/Saldana, Pine/Quinto)
- A Passage That Sings (Pine/Quinto)
- New York Renaissance (Quinto/Cho)
- Shiny, Shiny (Pine/Urban)
- Just Right (Pine/Quinto)
- It's All There If You Read The Fine Print (Shatner/Nimoy)
- Hot Flash (Pine/Cho - AU)
- D: (Pine/Quinto)
- Baby We'll Be Fine (Quinto/Saldana)
- Kristina. Real People Fiction, Fanfic Symposium, 10/30/05.
- See also the discussion on the 1976 story "Visit To A Weird Planet, Revisited" in the RPF article.
- Interview with Shatner in which he describes his 'great' friendship with Nimoy as something he 'cherishes'.
- 9 RPF communities were created on Livejournal in 2009 following the release of the reboot movie
- startrek_rps tag page as of July 2010 indicates 336 uses of the Pine/Quinto tag. The second and third most popular tags are Pine/Urban and Urban/Yelchin with only 51 uses each, while Shatner/Nimoy trail in at fourth place with only 40 uses of that tag.
- The Pinto pairing has two dedicated LJ groups, pinto_fic with over 1600 members and ontd_pinto, with over 800 members, compared to pinecity, the Pine/Urban community, which has less than 300 members (figures as of July 2010)
- Interview in which Quinto describes his friendship with Pine as 'close'
- Pine and Quinto leaving a winter party in Los Angeles
- Pine and Quinto strolling and chatting on a New York street
- Pine and Quinto attending the premier of a Broadway play
- Pine's home in Silver Lake, CA
- Quinto walking his dog near his home in Silver Lake
- Gossip columnist, Perez Hilton, describes Quinto as supporting 'his fellow gays'
- In support of same-sex marriage, Quinto acted in a one-night production of "Standing on Ceremony" at the El Portal Theatre
- What's Up, Spock? article in New York magazine, 16 Oct 2011 (Accessed 25 Nov 2011).
- 20 Stories are listed in startrek_rps for this threesome, as of July 2010
- Only 3 stories of 486 listed on startrek_rps involve Saldana, twice paired with Pine and once with Quinto and 3 threesomes listed between Saldana/Pine/Quinto, as of July 2010.
- Story in which Pine & Quinto are members of a band
- Story in which Pine & Quinto are school teachers
- Story in which Pine & Quinto are relief workers in post-earthquake-torn Haiti The novella-length story was removed from the author's LJ journal after a story in another fandom, also set in Haiti, received considerable criticism for its inappropriate setting for a fandom 'love story' and for racial stereotyping. The link is to the author's explanation as to why it's no longer available.
- Educated Diferences, a story set at a 21st century college in which Kirk and a human Spock share a dorm.
- The kirk_mccoy LJ community allows Pine/Urban RPS to be posted.