Swordspoint and Tremontaine
|Creator:||Ellen Kushner, Delia Sherman, Alaya Dawn Johnson, Teresa Gratton, Joel Derfner, Mary Anne Monhanraj, Malinda Lo, Racheline Maltese, Patty Bryant, Paul Witcover|
|Date(s):||1987 to present|
|Medium:||Books, audiobooks, online collaborative serials|
|Country of Origin:|
|External Links:||Ellen Kushner.com, Tremontaine on Serialbox, Ellen Kushner on wikipedia|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Ellen Kushner's 1987 book, Swordspoint and its sequels The Fall of the Kings (with Delia Sherman), and The Privilege of the Sword and the collaborative online prequel serial Tremontaine are mannerpunk or urban fantasy. The first book was particularly notable for the gay romance between the main characters, and the other works include various genders and sexualities.
Set in and around an unnamed city, the first book follows the adventures of the swordsman Richard St. Vier; his lover, the disgraced scholar Alec; their neighbors in the lower-class quarter known as Riverside; and the nobles who plot and scheme for power. Later entries in the series follow Alec's relatives and descendants, or elaborate on events occurring prior to the original novel.
If Swordspoint was written today, the entire internet would ship Alec/Richard 
Not Based on Media CharactersIn 1990, a fan attended Gaylaxicon and reported that:
- Fanart of Alec and Richard by ace-artemis-fanartist.
- Richard St. Vier by Katharine Linnea
- Totally Correct Tremontaine by artsy-alice.
- Lunch with Ellen Kushner and Delia Sherman - Fan interview by Oshun
Links & Resources
- Swordspoint Series - Ellen Kushner at Archive of Our Own
- _riverside, LiveJournal (2005-present)
- Swordspoint Fanfiction, masterlist compiled by wordsofastory (2007)
- Swordspoint Fandom: an Overview by tryfanstone at crack_van (2008)
- Swordspoint recs at crack_van (2008-2010)