|Type:||Film maker, reviewer, commenter|
|Fandoms:||Star Wars, Star Trek|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
RedLetterMedia is an independent motion-picture production company headed by Mike Stoklasa, previously of GMP Pictures, as well as Jay Bauman, formerly of Blanc Screen Cinema. Stoklasa attracted significant attention in 2009, through a 70-minute video review of Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace.
Stoklasa has produced other works under the RedLetterMedia banner, including short comedies and web series and three review-based web series (Half in the Bag, Game Station 2.0, and Best of the Worst). His low-budget features have been largely horror and comedy, and have included Feeding Frenzy, The Recovered, and Oranges: Revenge of the Eggplant.
Stoklasa created his first Plinkett video review for Star Trek: The Next Generation movie 'Generations' in 2008. Stoklasa found his own voice to be too boring for the review and adopted the persona of Harry S. Plinkett, a character he had previously used in several short films (originally played by Rich Evans) and further developed within the reviews.
Mr. Plinkett is an old man (claiming to be born in 1906) suffering from polio and bordering on senility and psychosis. He is strongly implied to be a serial killer and his reviews are intersperced with clips of women held capture in his basement. Plinkett first appeared in "You’re Invited! The Olsen Twins Movie". He speaks in a manner that has been compared to both Dan Aykroyd's character Elwood Blues in The Blues Brothers and Ted Levine's character Buffalo Bill from The Silence of the Lambs. He has a fondness for pizza roles. Stoklasa decided this role was necessary to his reviews in order to keep the viewer interested in the reviews and guessing what may occur next.
Star Trek Reviews
- Mr Plinkett's Review of Star Trek: Generations
- Mr Plinkett's Review of Star Trek: First Contact
- Mr Plinkett's Review of Star Trek: Insurrection
- Mr Plinkett's Review of Star Trek: Nemesis
- Mr Plinkett's Review of Star Trek (2009)
Star Wars Reviews
- Mr Plinkett's Review of Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
- Mr Plinkett's Review of Star Wars Episode 2: The Clone Wars
- Mr Plinkett's Review of Star Wars Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith
Half in the Bag
Half in the Bag is a regularly released series in which Stoklasa and Bauman do more traditional movie reviews. Stoklasa has described it as a cross between "Siskel and Ebert' and a 1980s sitcom" with him and Bauman VCR repair employees sitting in Plinkett's (Rich Evans) living room as they discuss movies. The first episode premiered on March 12, 2011 with a review of Drive Angry and The Adjustment Bureau.
- Review of 'Star Trek: Generations' on RedLetterMedia
- RedLetterMedia's Spin on the Crazed YouTube Reviewer on PopMatters
- Star Wars YouTube Battle on The Daily Beast
- Adler, Shawn (March 12, 2011). "YouTube Sensation Mr. Plinkett Branches Out With Weekly Review Show". MTV. Retrieved March 12, 2011
- Half in the Bag episode 1