Max Caulfield/Chloe Price
|Pairing:||Max Caulfield/Chloe Price|
|Fandom:||Life is Strange|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Max and Chloe are childhood friends who fell out of touch after Max moved with her parents to Seattle, and rekindle their friendship during the events of the game. They are long-time friends, regardless of player choices, however the player has the option to pursue romantic interest with Chloe.
Due to the games tight focus Max and Chloe, femslash dominates the fandom shipping activity. Unsurprisingly, this has made Max Caulfield/Chloe Price the juggernaut pairing of the fandom. As the game allows players to choose if Max reciprocates the romantic interest of Chloe or Warren Graham, shipping wars and minor clashes between Pricefield and Grahamfield fans were frequent.
Many fans were dissatisfied with the ending of the series as it lead to a binary choice between letting Chloe live at the cost of destroying the town and possibly killing unknown numbers of residents, or letting Chloe die and having the town be saved. Fans were especially angry that only by letting Chloe die do the players see Max and Chloe kiss in parting. Many felt this was also an example of Bury Your Gays and queer baiting as the confirmation of Max and Chloe's feeling for each other could only be seen in an ending where Chloe dies. Fix-it fics are common post-ending and the phrase Bae > Bay became short-hand to show that a player chose Chloe over Arcadia Bay.
- no grave can hold my body down by OpheliaMarina, No matter what Rachel says, the Goddess of Arcadia Bay might be all-knowing, but she can't be all-loving. Chloe's certain no goddess has ever cared about her. (Canon Divergence - Sacrifice Max.)
- we've only got this hundred years by stiction, (Or, five times Max rewound time to preserve the sanctity of friendship, and one time she didn't.)
- Everybody Needs a Fence to Lean On, by explosionshark, Chloe's a drunk insomniac. Max is tired.
- Forget me not by velocesmells
- Something has changed between us. It feels warm. It feels electric. by iamevee
- all of these stars will guide us home by petalpops
- It’s been a whole year since Polarized already. by mollifiable