|Name:||Kiryu Kazuma (Japanese: 桐生 一馬, Hepburn: Kiryū Kazuma)|
|Occupation:||Yakuza, taxi cab driver|
|Relationships:||Kazama Shintaro (adoptve father); Sawamura Haruka (adopted daughter); Nishikiyama Akira (sworn brother); Majima Goro (Majima); Sawamura Haruto (adopted grandson)|
|Fandom:||Ryu ga Gotoku|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Kiryu Kazuma (Japanese: 桐生 一馬, Hepburn: Kiryū Kazuma) is the main protagonist in action-adventure beat'em'up JRPG series Ryu ga Gotoku (also known as Yakuza).
Reception and popularity
In a 2018 Ryu ga Gotoku popularity poll by Sega, Kiryu took the 2nd position behind Majima Goro.
In March 2010, Sega sponsored a contest in which the winner would receive Kiryu's dragon back tattoo, valued at $9000. Ryu ga Gotoku fan and professional martial artist Fari Salievski won the tattoo, which was applied over the course of six months.
Fans generated much hype in requesting Kiryu to be a second guest character in Bandai Namco's fighting game Tekken 7. Katsuhiro Harada, the producer of Tekken 7 and director of the Tekken series, stated that he was taken aback by the amount of demand there was for the character in the West. Even after the revealed guest characters were Geese Howard and Noctis Lucis Caelum, and Negan fans took to Twitter to express their enthusiasm for getting Kiryu included in the game. Despite the demand for Kiryu's guest appearance in fighting games such as Tekken 7 and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Nagoshi—creator and director of the Ryu ga Gotoku series—has expressed his refusal to allow him in fighting games, citing that "fighting games usually have female characters, and I personally don’t really want to see Kiryu hit women."
Fanon and tropes
Fan communities and archives
- FanFiction.Net (FFN): [ stories] and [ crossovers] featuring
- DeviantArt (DA):
- Archive of Our Own (AO3):
- ^ a b c d e https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazuma_Kiryu Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "Wikipedia" defined multiple times with different content Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "Wikipedia" defined multiple times with different content
- ^ "Yakuza Series Popularity Poll Shows Its Current Top-20 Favorite Characters". Siliconera. Archived 29 September 2018.
- ^ "Man Wins Kazuma Kiryu's $9000 Back Tattoo". GameRevolution. Archived from the original on August 17, 2014. Retrieved March 28, 2014.
- ^ "Harada on Twitter". Twitter. Archived from the original on 22 April 2017. Retrieved 22 April 2017.
"Harada on Twitter". Twitter. Archived from the original on 22 October 2017. Retrieved 20 April 2017.
"Here are the top guest characters suggested to Katsuhiro Harada for Tekken 7". Tekkengamer. Archived from the original on 20 April 2017. Retrieved 20 April 2017.
Ross, Deacon. "Kazuma Kiryu Most Requested Character For Tekken 7 DLC!". Yakuzafan. Archived from the original on 20 April 2017. Retrieved 20 April 2017.
Miche, Hunter. "Kazuma Kiryu Is The Most Requested Tekken 7 Guest Character". Segmentnext. Archived from the original on 22 April 2017. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
Passero, Andrea. "KAZUMA KIRYU COME PERSONAGGIO DI TEKKEN 7?". IGN Italia. Archived from the original on 22 April 2017. Retrieved 22 April 2017.
Gravelle, Cody. "Yakuza Protagonist is Most Requested Guest Fighter for Tekken 7". Gamerant. Warp 10. Archived from the original on 24 April 2017. Retrieved 23 April 2017.
- ^ "There's Strong Demand For Yakuza's Kazuma Kiryu Be Included In Tekken 7". Gamermalaya. Archived from the original on 1 May 2017. Retrieved 2 May 2017.
Makuch, Eddie. "Tekken 7 Boss Talks Rage-Quitting, Possible Nintendo Switch Version, Guest Characters, And More". Gamespot. Cbs. Archived from the original on 26 August 2017. Retrieved 2 May 2017.
"Why Yakuza's Kazuma Kiryu should be in Tekken 7". Segabits. Archived from the original on 3 May 2017. Retrieved 3 May 2017.
Orselli, Brandon. "TEKKEN 7 PRODUCER ASKS FANS WHAT GUEST CHARACTERS SHOULD APPEAR IN GAME". Nichegamer. Archived from the original on 16 May 2017. Retrieved 3 May 2017.
- ^ Ashcraft, Bryan. "Forget Noctis, Here Are Other Ideas For Tekken 7 Characters". Kotaku. Retrieved 23 December 2017.
- ^ "Yakuza Director Explains Why He Doesn't Want Kiryu in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate".