Katy and Molly's 77+ Favourite A/B and A-B Stories
|Name:||Katy and Molly's 77+ Favourite A/B and A-B Stories|
|Reccer(s):||Katy/aralias and Molly/elviaprose|
|Dates:||August 5, 2013|
|Focus:||stories focusing on Roj Blake and Kerr Avon|
|URL:||Procrastination Central - Katy and Molly's 77+ Favourite A/B and A-B Stories, Archived version|
Click here for related articles on Fanlore.
This rec list was inspired by a 2000 list. See: Sally and Jenny's 50 Favourite A-B Gen Stories.
Let's begin by defining terms. We (Sally and Jenny, two B7 fans who have only ever met in cyberspace) decided to put together an annotated list of our favourite (a more subjective and accurate claim than 'the best') Blake's 7 gen stories (general fan fiction) centred around the interaction between Avon and Blake. These stories are known-
No, no... wait, a minute. That's not right.
Let's try that again.
We (Katy/aralias and Molly/elviaprose, two B7 fans who have only ever met in cyberspace) decided to follow in the footsteps of the great Sally and Jenny and put together an annotated list of our favourite Blake/Avon (and Blake-Avon) stories. Yes, there's a slash there between the e and the A, which means that this time some of the fics have sex in them (hooray!), though not all of them do (there is some definite crossover with S&J's original gen list). We've marked (to the best of our imperfect memories) which fics have sex and which don't.
We didn't bother to limit ourselves to a set number, and I'll continue to come back and add more fics as Molly and I continue to read in the fandom. Out of necessity, the list currently only contains fics from the internet (and only those that Hermit has admitted have B/A or B-A in them - there are undoubtedly many more squirrelled away inside its memory banks) and fics in zines that one of us owns.
We think it's a good and varied list, though. Spoilers for the show are everywhere, so - be warned. Spoilers for the individual fics are withheld as much as possible.
Will I like the fics on this list?
Possibly... I think they're objectively good, but it would probably help if you shared at least some of the following convictions.
Obviously many many good B/A fics exist that are not on this list - these are just our favourites. In general, if an author is recced here, their other fics are also vv worth reading. 
- 1. Fics where they basically love each other
- 1b. Fics where they still irritate each other
- 2. Silly tropes!
- 3. Dialogue that accurately represents the dialogue heard on the show, or a good reason why it doesn't (i.e. other stylisation)
- 4. Blake! Obviously we like Avon, too (Molly likes him more than she likes Blake), but Avon usually gets out of most fics quite well and isn't nearly as likely to be depicted as a rapist... o_o So, yer, there are a few fics in this list where Blake sexually dominates Avon, but they are very few and far between and almost always vaguely consensual. (I, at least, am very keen on D/s generally, but not always the way it manifests itself in this pairing).
- 5. Happy endings - where appropriate, obviously. About 60 of the 77+ listed here have happy endings...
- 6. Er, our own fics. To be fair, I wrote the rec for 'Kerr Avon and the Green Knight' and Molly wrote the ones for my fics, but clearly we, or rather I (since I refused not to rec KAatGK and then suggested which of my fics I thought deserved to be here, if any. In short - it is my fault) am that sort of person. But [personal profile] executrix did it first on crack_van, so it must be all right. Right? Semi all right anyway...