How I Met Your Mother
|Name:||How I Met Your Mother|
|Abbreviation(s):||HIMYM (pronounced "him-yim")|
|Creator:||Carter Bays, Craig Thomas|
|Date(s):||September 19, 2005 - March 31, 2014|
|Country of Origin:||United States|
|External Links:||Official site|
How I Met Your Mother Wiki
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
How I Met Your Mother is an American sitcom about the lives of a group of six friends from their mid-20's to their mid-30's. The context of the show is that in the year 2030, Ted (the main character) sits his two children down to tell them "the long version" of how he met their mother; a long meandering story about the friendships and romances he had in the years leading up to their meeting.
- Neil Patrick Harris's character Barney Stinson is considered the show's breakout character - usually a fan favorite. Many fans started watching (and continued) because of the actor, his catchphrases and his "Bro Code" guide being a few of favorites, especially his love of wearing suits. However, Barney is also a controversial character, with many fans objecting to his near-continual attempts to trick women into sleeping with him.
- Up until she's finally introduced in the last season, there was a great deal of speculation as to the identity of The Mother, what kind of person she would be, and how her relationship with Ted would play out.
- The fans were, by and large, deeply unhappy with the finale.
Popular pairings include Barney/Robin, Lily/Marshall, and Ted/Robin, all of which are canonical, though the popularity and prevalence of the pairings waxed, waned and generally fluctuated over the course of the show and its character development. Ted/Barney is the most common slash pairing.
Tropes and Fanon
- The show featured a lot of very popular catchphrases which became popular amongst the fans (both in and out of the context of the show)
- "Suit up!"
- "Legen-- wait-for-it --dary!"
- "Challenge Accepted!"
- "True story."
- "NOBODY ASKED YOU PATRICE!!!" ("Patrice" is sometimes exchanged for another name)
- Same-actor crossovers are sometimes used, mostly for Cobie Smulders' characters Robin Scherbatsky and Maria Hill (MCU); usually Robin was a undercover operation.
Archives and Fannish Links
- HIMYM newbieguide by bananacosmic (2010)
- TV.com's HIMYM Community
- Barney/Robin Ship Manifesto by damalur
- Barney/Lily Ship Manifesto by otempora42
- Acuna, K. Fans Are Not Happy With The 'How I Met Your Mother' Series Finale, Business Insider, 1 April 2014 (Accessed 9 March 2015). See also the fail_fandomanon threads HIMYM Finale Tonight (31 March 2014) and Re: You Will Never Forgive.... (09 March 2015).