|Synonyms:||personal canon, head canon, head-cannon, headcannon|
|See also:||fanon, canon|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
This can be affected both by professional tranformative works, such as art, movies and audiobooks, and by fanworks such as fanart, fanfiction, cosplay, manips, vids and podfic.
The phrase "Headcanon accepted!" is sometimes used to indicate you've adopted another fan's headcanon as your own.
- A history of "headcanon" on Know Your Meme
- Headcanon vs. Fanon - azurelunatic
- Headcanon tag on Archive of Our Own
- headcanon tag on Tumblr
XKCD comic on headcanon vs. headcannon
Headcanon is affected by the frequent auditory/orthographic confusion between canon and cannon.
- Creating Headcanons: Everyone Does It (2015)
- Do Characters Belong to Their Fans or Their Creators?; WebCite (2015)
- Dean Winchester and Commander Shepard Walk Into A Bar: Why Fanon Matters - Uncanny Magazine, Archived version (2017)
- Head-Canon, what's yours?; long ongoing thread on the Twisting the Hellmouth forums, mostly discussing Buffy canon but also looking at many other fandoms, started in 2015 and still in progress.
- XKCD headcannon comic #1401
- Black hat guy is walking. Black hat guy: New headcannon:
- A figure sits behind a desk with a computer on it. Figure: Yeah?
- Black hat guy has raised his hat, revealing a cannon that shoots the seated figure.
- The desk explodes and the figure is engulfed in smoke. BOOM
- Figure: Augh!