|Related terms:||Fan-Scholar, Meta|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Fans often survey themselves, asking each other for opinions on various topics.
The form often takes the form of informal polls. Sometimes they are more wide-reaching and organized.
As expected, conducting a survey can be not unlike herding cats, and with fans, sometimes even more so.
The results of these surveys have been used to:
- gauge the interest of fans in certain subjects
- investigate a fannish website or print zine's future direction
- influence TPTB in regards to canon decisions
- influence pro merchandisers regarding what they create and sell
- get a feel for a community
- be pure fun
An Example of a Miserable Survey NOT Done by Fans
- SurveyFail in 2009