|Video Game Fandom|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
There were many rumours floating around the game. One of the most well known was that it was possible to flip the iceberg. The initial rumour stated that if enough players were on one side of the iceberg, it would tip up; when this proved ineffective, it later morphed into the idea that it would only flip if players used the Jackhammer 3000.
- Club Penguin Online
- Club Penguin Rewritten
On May 14, 2020, it was announced that all private servers using the Club Penguin brand were given DMCA take-down notices after allegations emerged concerning child predation by an administrator of another popular private server, Club Penguin Online. According to an investigation by the BBC, one man involved with the site had been arrested on suspicion of possessing child pornography. Detectives say the man from London has been released on bail pending further inquiries. On May 15, 2020, the site was shut down after complying with the DMCA takedown notice by The Walt Disney Company. In a statement, Disney said, "Child safety is a top priority for the Walt Disney Company and we are appalled by the allegations of criminal activity and abhorrent behaviour on this unauthorised website that is illegally using the Club Penguin brand and characters for its own purposes. [...] We continue to enforce our rights against this, and other, unauthorised uses of the Club Penguin game."
Club Penguin Rewritten was shut down on April 12, 2022 by the City of London Police Intellectual Property Crime Unit, who took control of the website and arrested three people "on suspicion of distributing materials infringing copyright". According to one of the game's administrators, the team had shut down the game and "voluntarily given control over the website to the police" after a request from Disney.
Fan communities and archives
Fan pages and sites
- Club Penguin on Wikipedia
- Tidy, Joe (May 15, 2020). "Disney forces explicit Club Penguin clones offline". BBC News. Archived from the original on December 6, 2020. Retrieved May 15, 2020.
- "Disney give us back club penguin on Twitter: "Carta de despedida de CPO / CPO Farewell Letter"". Twitter. May 15, 2020. Archived from the original on May 16, 2020. Retrieved September 12, 2020.
- Kelly, Makena (May 15, 2020). "Club Penguin Online shuts down after receiving copyright claim from Disney". The Verge. Archived from the original on May 15, 2020. Retrieved May 15, 2020.
- "'Club Penguin Rewritten' allegedly shut down by Disney, website seized by London police". TechCrunch. Retrieved April 13, 2022.
- Hurler, Kevin (April 13, 2022). "Three Arrested After Disney Squashes Popular Club Penguin Knockoff". Gizmodo. Retrieved April 13, 2022.
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club_Penguin#Private_servers Wikipedia