Beholden to the Earth
|Title:||Beholden to the Earth|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Beholden to the Earth is a gen 98-page Alien Nation anthology.
Back in the spring of 1990, I was stunned to hear that Alien Nation had been canceled. This was, in my opinion, the best new show I'd seen on television in many years. It just didn't seem possible that such a high quality show could be canceled. I followed the rumors — that Alien Nation was coming back, that it wasn't coming back, that there would be two wrap-up television movies. When the television movies were nixed, I realized that the only way to keep the show alive would be to write my own episodes. I started writing Alien Nation stories and sharing them with friends who also missed the show very much and were starved for new material. Eventually, I decided to do a zine, and put out a call for submissions.
Hopefully, this is just one of the many Alien Nation zines that will be created in upcoming years. I believe that the only way we'll ever see Alien Nation return in any form is by keeping the fandom alive.I wish to dedicate this zine to the cast of the television series. Alien Nation, for portraying their characters with sensitivity and with chemistry rarely seen on television, to the writers of the show, for producing week after week of excellent scripts, and most of all to Kenneth Johnson for having had the vision to make it all possible.
- Toward Freedom by Lynne Levine ("The story of Keira, a secret rebel on the Tenctonese slave ship." The author writes that Keira was inspired by the character of K'Ehleyr from Star Trek: TNG.) (pre-first season) (5)
- Untitled, poem by M.J. Raven (first season) (18)
- Legend by Lynne Levine ("Uncle Moodri explains the origin of the binnaum system to Emily.") (first season) (19)
- Earth Day, 1995 by Lynne Levine ("Several characters attend an Earth Day celebration.") (first season) (22)
- Homework Assignment by Lynne Levine ("Emily writes about her earliest memories.") (first season) (25)
- In Search Of Taste by Dana Lajeunesse ("Junk food means different things to Matt and George.") (first season) (27)
- Reconciliation by Lynne Levine ("After the series finale, Matt and Cathy make up their differences.") (beyond first season) (29)
- Crosney by Pat Merritt ("To save his partner from a cursed Tenctonese child, Matt must sacrifice his whole life.") (beyond first season) (33)
- All I’ll Ever Need by Ursula Boyle ("Cathy tells Matt about an old lover.") (beyond first season) (59)
- Finding A Home by Lynne Levine ("Buck finds it increasingly difficult to deal with humans and human prejudice.") (beyond first season) (61)
- Survivors by Lynne Levine ("A continuation of the previous story. Buck and his friend Sal grow closer, while Matt and George chase a killer.") (beyond first season) (76)
- Music Lesson by Lynne Levine ("Cathy has a very personal request for Matt.") (beyond first season) (85)
- Chains Of Love: The Final Resolution by Ellen Gustafson ("Marvin Gardens (from the episode "Chains of Love") questions his sexuality when his feelings about Matt Sikes continue to linger.") (beyond first season) (89)
- Interruptions by Lynne Levine ("An unexpected visitor interrupts Matt and Cathy's evening together.") (beyond first season) (95)