|Date(s):||May 2002 - 2005 (Wayback Machine dates)|
|Archivist:||Hope (a.k.a. Estel)|
|Fandom:||Lord of the Rings|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Bag End was the archive for the Lord of the Rings mailing list called FrodoHealers. The site originated as a subdomain of fateback.com before moving to rosiesamfrodo.com. On 8 May 2002, the list master Frodo (also Febobe) announced on the FrodosHealers mailing list that Estel had built an archive for the group called Bag End:
A special note: our own Estel has very graciously and generously volunteered time and effort and creativity to create an archival site for us! :) She's very patient in working with me, for which I am truly grateful, and is doing an absolutely amazing job on the place, which I've dubbed "Bag End," for fairly obvious reasons. :) To make this simple, please e-mail me at frodoatbagend@... if you do NOT want your fanfics archived on the site. If you do want them posted there, you don't have to do a thing, but if you really don't want them there, do e-mail me and let me know. :) Special hugs to Estel for all her hard work on this!
On 11 May 2002, Hope posted instructions to the mailing list. The archive was not automated and initially required the stories to be emailed as text files and added to the archive by hand by the archivists. However, the archivists found that few list members were sending in their stories, and in June 2002, stories posted to the list were archive automatically, unless the author indicated that they wished to opt out.
While slash was banned, "sweet" romance between same sex characters was allowed.
This is a archive for works of fanfiction posted on the FrodoHealers mailing list. The list is a moderated group for those interested in reading or writing about Frodo Baggins of JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, specifically angst or hurt/comfort fanfiction involving an unwell Frodo.This includes both book and movie canon, as well as AU" (alternative universe) material. All fiction, poetry, or drama involving an injured or ill Frodo, including material involving his suffering while carrying the Ring or after its destruction, is welcome, with the exception of "slash" or sexual content and profanity. 
They were lengthy. One tidbit:
There is a lot of overlap in ailing-Frodo fiction due to the nature of the genre. Consequently, please don't get upset and start yelling, "That rat stole my idea!" just because someone posts a Frodo-with-pneumonia fic and you had an idea for one as well. Obvious plagiarism will not be tolerated and offending submissions will be ignored; however, situational overlap (ie, use of the same time period or condition, unless particularly rare) will not necessarily be considered theft in and of itself. It is my hope that everyone will respect each other; I simply feel the need to say this because some overlap is bound to happen.
- FrodoHealers Yahoo! Group, Message #260, posted 8 May 2002. The FrodoHealers group was public.
- FrodoHealers Yahoo! Group, Message #262, posted 11 May 2002. The FrodoHealers group was public.
- FrodoHealers Yahoo! Group, Message #539, posted 8 June 2002. The FrodoHealers group was public.
- "Sexual content, whether between male and female, male and male, female and female, etc, should be avoided: while romance is acceptable, please keep it non-slash and "sweet" (non-graphic). This is because many readers do feel strongly regarding slash or highly sexual content - I would like us to keep this group free of that." -- Submission Guidelines, Rules, Headers
- "About". Archived from the original on 2003-10-30.
- "Submission Guidelines, Rules, Headers". Archived from the original on 2003-12-09.