Star Wars, Star Wars Expanded Universe
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Baby Yoda was introduced in The Mandalorian in 2019. Officially called The Child, this character quickly became better known by his fandom nickname. Many fans and creators of the series, were quick to point out that this character cannot be a younger version of Yoda, and is instead a new younger character of the same species. The moniker Baby Yoda is still the most common way fans refer to this character.
Disney decided not to create any merchandise for Baby Yoda, in an effort to keep the character's reveal a secret. In the complete absence of merch, fancrafts became popular.
Screengrabs and gifs of Baby Yoda became popular images for memes. Baby Yoda Drinking Soup is probably the best known meme featuring this character, but there are others. After the airing of the Season 2 episode 'The Passenger', much attention was drawn to Baby Yoda's eating of the Frog Lady's eggs, leading to the creation of several memes and discussions, including implications surrounding Yoda himself.
There is also a considerable amount of fanart, and some gen fanfic for this character.
The Child's Name
Because this is Star Wars fandom, there was also much discussion about how this character fit in the canon of the expanded universe, and a lot of pushback against the moniker Baby Yoda, from fans who felt this was an inaccurate name to give the character. Still other fans preferred the name Baby Yoda.
In series 2 of the Mandalorian, the Child's name was revealed to be Grogu. Initial fan reactions to this development were mixed. Whether the fandom decides to adopt this name in the long run, or stick to 'Baby Yoda' still remains to be seen.
Common Tropes & Themes
- Adorable Grogu|Baby Yoda - Perhaps not so much a trope as such, but this is a fairly popular canonised tag on Ao3.
- Baby Yoda Song | The Best is Yet To Come by BarryMode
- Baby Yoda (Floating In A Pod) by Parry Gripp
- Dear Baby Yoda: A Love Song by The Ringer (a parody of "Dear Theodosia" from Hamilton)
- He trip, Archived version by xylavie
- He is hangry, Archived version by aesnawan
- squeeze him, Archived version by eggdrawsthings
Archives & Links
- Tweet from @kaenkazui, Nov 27 2020. 'In short: "It's Baby Yoda!" Disney: "We call him The Child." "Nah. Baby Yoda." Disney: "Alright. His name is Grogu." "... BABY YODA!"'