|Creator:||David Lynch, Mark Frost|
|Country of Origin:||United States|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Twin Peaks was a cult tv series that ran for two seasons in the early 1990s, created by noted surrealist director David Lynch. A film prequel, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, was released in 1992. There were also a few spin-off books.
Crossoverman describes it: It was soap opera melded with surrealist cinema. It was detective story weaved through a story of grief. It was an epic symphony, as Lynch put it, interrupted by other people's jingles. And it redefined television.
The show spirals out from the murder of high-school homecoming queen, Laura Palmer, to encompass the entire small American logging town in which she lived. On the surface everything is as wholesome as cherry pie, underneath sex & drugs are just the beginning... Uncanny owls, talking logs, dwarfs & giants, mysterious lodges, evil lurking in the woods, Lynch didn't hold a lot back.
The cast was huge, but fandom mostly focuses on FBI agent Dale Cooper, aka "Coop", a rationalist who also employs Tibetan philosophy to solve his cases, his fellow agent & forensics expert, Albert Rosenfield, the local sheriff, Harry S. Truman, and the gorgeous school girl, Audrey Horne, who quickly falls in love with Coop and gets embroiled in the investigation in an attempt to impress him.
Twin Peaks was extremely popular when it first showed, and has retained a loyal fanbase over the intervening two decades. Most fannish activity is in discussion of the various mysteries of the show, however, rather than creating fanworks. The main creative activities are fanfiction, vidding and icon making.
A fair amount of fanfiction has been written for the show, initially in printzines in the early 1990s (most of which is not archived online), and more recently online. The Bookhouse Boys Yahoo Groups mailing list was founded in 1999 as a venue for adult fanfiction, and the first Twin Peaks livejournal followed in 2001. Yuletide, where the fandom is a perennial request, has thrown up a lot of high-quality stories since 2003. The much-delayed release of the second season of the series on DVD in 2007 also seems to have sparked a resurgence in interest in writing.
The great majority of fanfiction centres on Cooper. The most common het pairing is with Audrey, which many fans loved but the show backed away from. Slash was somewhat rarer, but Coop's pairing with Albert Rosenfield -- fanonically gay -- has a substantial and growing following. There's also some Cooper/Truman to be found, and a smattering of non-Coop slash pairings. There's a little femslash, mainly featuring Laura. A common trope is fix-it fic for the second season finale. As Twin Peaks author X-parrot writes, We're talking one of the worst cliffhangers ever inflicted on fen, with no canonical closure ever granted. I need fic. I crave it. Dale in the Lodge is another common theme. There are also lots of stories set before canon. Some of these draw on the extra background from the various spin-offs, Coop's stint undercover in a gay bar being a popular bit of spin-off canon. Crossovers with any investigative show are another common genre. The X-Files is particularly popular, perhaps fuelled by David Duchovny playing a transvestite agent in Twin Peaks.
Bookhouse Boys was a slash archive for the Bookhouse Boys mailing list, with stories dating from 1999-2005; it went offline in 2012/13. There is a little fanfiction at the Twin Peaks Online fansite. Fanfiction can also be found at Archive of Our Own, fanfiction.net, Silverlake and Witness List. Recs have appeared at Crack Van, which has a very detailed overview by Laughing Academy.
- Last Dance, by DBKate -- Coop/Rosenfield pre-story (1999)
- Black, White and Red All Over, by Yahtzee -- Coop/Audrey (2003)
- Otis Redmund's Great Whopper, by CJ Marlowe -- Coop/Truman (2004)
- Blue Velvet to Moon River, by Gabihime -- Coop/Audrey (2005)
- Victory, by X-parrot -- gen futurefic (2005)
- always music in the air, by bossymarmalade -- Dale in the Lodge (2008)
- I'll Take a Quiet Life, by smercy -- unusual insider/female perspective (2009)
- And the Devil Makes Three, by Nemo the Everbeing -- long pre-series casefic, with Albert & Coop (2009)
- Untying, by astolat -- Coop/Audrey futurefic (2010)
- More pre-Yuletide stories required
- Cooper's Dream
- Dreams Unwind
- Fish in the Percolator
- Secrets of Twin Peaks (newsletter and gen fanfic)
- Twin Peaks Gazette
- Wrapped in Plastic
Vidding is an important fannish activity. [Examples needed]
- twinpeaks -- fanfiction & discussion
- twinpeaksfic -- fanfiction of all genres
- tp-femslash -- small femslash comm (inactive since 2007)
- twinpeaks-icons -- icons
- Bookhouse Boys -- adult fanfiction list
- twinpeaks -- an "anything goes" Twin Peaks community
- Twin Peaks Archive --interviews, news updates, and meta essays
- Twin Peaks Online --images, fanfiction, scripts, etc.
- Glastonberry Grove --defunct reference site