The Golden Girls
|Name:||The Golden Girls|
|Date(s):||September 14, 1985 – May 9, 1992|
|Medium:||live-action TV series|
|Country of Origin:||United States|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Golden Girls is a comedy sitcom based in Miami, Florida, about four women sharing a home in their “golden years” who had all reached a point in their lives that they searched for companionship outside of family and marital relationships. Golden Girls was written by Susan Harris and ran on television for seven seasons (1985-1992) totaling 177 episodes.
- Blanche Devereaux, portrayed by Rue McClanahan, is a southern belle who, after her late husband George passed, finds herself in need of roommates to help supplement her income. Blanche is known as the more sexually adventurous roommate and is enamored by her own beauty.
- Sophia Petrillo, portrayed by Estelle Getty, is the oldest of the four women and the mother of Dorothy. After her retirement home, Shady Pines, burns down, she is the last to move into the Miami home with the others. Being an Italian immigrant, Sophia possesses a lot of old world charm and is known for telling anecdotes filled with tall tales of how the world works to the younger three women. She is also known to possess quick wit for insults for how the other three women live their lives.
- Rose Nylund, portrayed by Betty White, moves in after relocating from St. Olaf, Minnesota, after her late husband, Charlie, passes. Rose is known for her long and quite obnoxious stories that include people or farm animals with ridiculous names doing silly things. Rose is also considered to be quite dim-witted but possesses a heart of gold.
- Dorothy Zbornak, portrayed by Bea Arthur, is a divorced, substitute teacher with quick wit and comical comebacks. She tends to have the stablest head in situations and provides a more liberal perspective in situations.
In 1992, Arthur decided to leave the show. The series ended with Dorothy getting married and leaving the group. A new series called "The Golden Palace" began immediately afterwards, which followed Blanche, Sophia, and Rose buying and running a hotel. It only lasted for one season.
Commonly Used Tropes
- Sharing life events over food: Many fanfics, as well as the original canon, are over some kind of meal (usually dessert and usually cheesecake!).
- Elderly women losing filters of their language: Each of the characters, but most of all, Sophia, is known as being quick witted in a rude manner and making fun of others without regard for feelings.
Common femslash pairings that are non-canonical are Blanche/Dorothy, Rose/Jean, and Blanche/Rose. The only one that can be considered the closest to canon would be Rose/Jean since Jean, Dorothy’s lesbian friend, did develop feelings for Rose during a visit to the home in Miami, even though Rose did not reciprocate those romantic feelings in the television series.