The Comfy Chair
|Name:||The Comfy Chair|
|Moderator:||carolyn_claire, noracharles, pouncer|
|URL:||The Comfy Chair|
Click here for related articles on Fanlore.
The Comfy Chair
There were 30 entries and 889 comments received.
From the Profile Page
The Comfy Chair is a discussion community for (currently) Stargate-verse fanfic (including fusions and crossovers); additional fandoms will be added according to member interest. Membership is open, only members may post, and posting access will be given after joining. The maintainers reserve the right to remove posting access from any member who doesn't abide by the guidelines listed HERE; it is important that you do read the guidelines before joining.
[snipped]Please DO NOT link to essays/discussions in private journals; reproduce them here so that discussion stays in the community.
From the Site's Founder
Welcome to The Comfy Chair! This community was created to encourage public discussion of stories written in the Stargate-verse (and other fandoms to be added, later.) The point, here, is to share reactions, views and preferences--what we like in the stories we read and what we don't, and why. Anyone can have an opinion about what does or doesn't work for them in what they read; it's all welcome, here, and all up for discussion.
Please read, remember and follow the guidelines below in order to keep your posting status:
- Any story posted or archived publicly may be discussed here; stories posted to private lists or flocked journals may not. Posters may chose, at their own discretion, to ask authors if they would mind having their story discussed prior to posting, but doing so is not a requirement of the comm.
- This is a discussion comm, not a recs comm or a snark comm. Don't just tell us that you loved a story; tell us why, what made it work for you and if there was anything about it that didn't. Don't choose a story to discuss that doesn't merit discussion--no badfic, please. Choose stories that you or others feel are well written, and tell us about anything that did work for you as well as anything that didn't. Story discussion is interesting and informative; flaming is not. Reasoned, critical discussion is welcome; save bitchy wit, snark and MSTing for other venues. Rants aren't allowed; detailed posts/essays on things like pet peeves, fanon/canon, characterization, etc., including any specific examples from posted stories, are encouraged (without any dramatic eye-rolling or teeth-gnashing, please.)
- Discussion will be focused on stories, only, not authors, posters or other commenters. Be prepared, when posting, for others to disagree with you; that's the point of the comm. It's all about opinion, and opinions on any one story will vary widely. Tactful, respectful discussion is key, but people do express themselves in different ways; comments reprimanding others for not using 'correct' language ("I think", "IMO", etc.) will not be allowed. Focus discussion on the ideas expressed and not how they're expressed. Stay on topic: the comm has a firm "take it outside" (to your own journal) rule for threads that evolve beyond story discussion.
- Discussion here isn't intended as an attack on any story or author, so no 'defense' is needed. To keep discussion uninhibited, authors are asked not to join in discussion of their own stories; friends or betas of authors are also asked not to speak on their behalf. Discussion should center on readers' views of the story as presented, not on authorial intent. Let the story speak for itself, here; write the author directly for her viewpoint or to give feedback.
- Please don't submit your own stories for discussion or request critique or feedback of your stories from the comm. If you'd like to see your completed, publicly-posted story discussed, ask a friend who enjoyed it to open a discussion post about it.
- No story posting, announcements, comm ads or off-topic discussion, please. Discussion of episodes as they relate to writing and particular stories is allowed.
- Do announce your posts to your flist, your fandom's noticeboard/newsletter, etc. to encourage participation in the discussion on your post. (This will become increasingly important as new fandoms are added beyond those the mods participate in.)
- If you have any questions about the comm, please feel free to comment with them to this post or contact me, carolyn_claire, at my journal.Have fun! It's all about the fun.