|Creator:||Directed by Jason Moore (1st), Elizabeth Banks (2nd)|
Screenplays by Kay Cannon
Based on Pitch Perfect: The Quest for Collegiate a Cappella Glory by Mickey Rapkin
|Country of Origin:||United states|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Pitch Perfect is a movie featuring an ensemble cast of misfit, diverse girls singing songs acapella, it easily passes the Bechdel Test and was a surprise hit. Actors starring in major or fan favourite roles in this movie include Anna Kendrick as Beca Mitchell, the protagonist, Rebel Wilson as "Fat Amy", Skylar Astin as Jesse Swanson, Anna Camp as Audrey Posen, Brittany Snow as Chloe Beale.
Beca Mitchel begins unwillingly attending Barden University instead of becoming a DJ due to her divorced father's wishes. She works at a record store with love interest Jesse and joins the struggling all female, acapella group, the Barden Bellas. The Barden Bellas are rivals with the all-male acapella group called the Treblemakers, which Jesse joins. Leader Audrey Posen of the Bellas is set on winning, beating the Trebles and redeeming herself from their failure last year, but her conservative song choices throw a wrench in her plans. Beca eventually takes over as leader, learns to love the Bellas and Jesse, and wins the competition with her new friends, the bellas.
Pitch Perfect 2
Many fans believe that Pitch Perfect 2 was not as good as the first movie. This may be due to more racist jokes, unconvincing character development, or the repetition of much of the first source material. The introduction of Kommisar and Beca/Kommissar occurred in this movie. (sources?)
Although Jesse/Beca is canon, the abundance of female characters with screen time mean that as of September 2016, the number of fanfictions on Fanfiction.net where Jesse is even a *character* is less than 1/4 of the total fanfictions, and on the slightly smaller archive of AO3 it does not even make the top 10 list of pairings.
Shipping in this fandom is almost overwhelmingly femslash. Chloe/Beca is the most popular pairing by far in the fandom. Other fairly popular pairings include Chloe/Aubrey, Beca/Aubrey, Beca/Chloe/Aubrey, Ashley/Jessica, and Beca/Kommissar. The crackship of Aubrey/Stacie also appeared. In 2015, a spark of interest in crackships including Chloe/Stacie, Beca/Emily, Stacie/Emily, Beca/Chloe/Emily, and Stacie/Beca.
List of Pairing Names
- Bechloe is for Beca/Chloe
- Becommissar is for Beca/Kommissar
- Bechemily is for Beca/Chloe/Emily
- Bemily is for Beca/Emily
- Chaubrey is for Aubrey/Chloe
- Chacie is for Chloe/Stacie
- Jashley is for Jessica/Ashley
- Jeca is for Beca/Jesse
- Mitchsen is for Beca/Aubrey
- Staubrey is for Aubrey/Stacie
- Steca is for Stacie/Beca
- Stemily is for Stacie/Emily
- Triple Treble is for Aubrey/Chloe/Beca
Common Tropes & Fanon
- Attaching the prefix aca- to a word (aca-children, aca-bitches, etc) has become a meme in the Pitch Perfect fandom and is often present in fanfic.
- Similarly, music related puns are common.
- The Riff-Off, a music improvisational competition often appears or is mentioned.
- Alternate Universes are popular
- Cobwebs by Redlace, Spider-Man AU where Beca is Spidey. Chloe/Beca. It's inspired many others in creating vids, gifsets and fanart on Tumblr ()
- Halfway There by ingeniousmacabre is a Beca/Jesse story that explores the canonverse events and the moments in between.