Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812
|Name:||Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812|
|Creator:||Dave Malloy based on the book by Leo Tolstoy|
|Date(s):||2016 (Broadway premiere)|
|Country of Origin:|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812 (often just called Great Comet) is a musical adaptation of a small part of the Leo Tolstoy book War and Peace. It had a fairly short run on Broadway, but it has a lot of fans.
Great Comet first premiered off-Broadway in 2012 (starring then-unknown Phillipa Soo, pre-Hamilton), but did not pick up much of a fan following until it opened at the American Repertory Theater in Massachusetts in 2015. A number of fics were posted to AO3 in mid-2016, between its closure at ART and its opening on Broadway in October 2016; it grew a lot more popular in 2017, especially after it won two Tony awards in June of that year (some fans think it should have won more). It closed on Broadway in September 2017, much to the sadness of the fans.
In July 2017, fan-fave Hamilton star Okieriete Onaodowan assumed the role of Pierre. Less than two weeks later, it was announced that he would be replaced by Mandy Patinkin. This announcement upset fans and theater professionals, who were frustrated that a black actor would be so quickly replaced by a white actor, because, according to creator Dave Malloy, the replacement was happening due to low ticket sales. Following these complaints, Patinkin announced he would not be joining the show, and Onaodowan remained until the show closed.
The most popular ships appear to be:
- Fyodor Dolokhov/Anatole Kuragin
- Marya Akhrosimova/Elena Kuragina
- Anatole Kuragin/Natalya Rostova
- Pyotr Bezukhov/Natalya Rostova 
- great comet characters- [1/10] natasha rostova, gifset by ofeighteentwelve
- i love the color yellow and pierre bezukhov, fanart by pellowcase
- untitled fanart by gaywarandpeace
Links & Resources
- works tagged Great Comet at the Archive of Our Own
- works tagged Great Comet at FanFiction.net
- Tumblr search terms: great comet, natasha pierre and the great comet of 1812, npatgco1812