Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812
|Name:||Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812|
|Abbreviation(s):||Great Comet, The Great Comet of 1812, npatgco1812|
|Creator:||Dave Malloy based on the book by Leo Tolstoy|
|Date(s):||2016 (Broadway premiere)|
|Country of Origin:|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812 (often just called Great Comet or The Great Comet of 1812) is a musical adaptation of a small part of the Leo Tolstoy novel War and Peace. Despite its fairly short run on Broadway, it maintains a strong fan base.
Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812 mostly follows Natasha Rostova's affair with Anatole Kuragin and its aftermath, and as Pierre Bezukhov's search for meaning in his life.
Great Comet first premiered off-Broadway in 2012 (starring then-unknown Phillipa Soo as Natasha Rostova, pre-Hamilton), but did not pick up much of a fan following until it opened at the American Repertory Theater in Massachusetts in 2015. A number of fics were posted to AO3 in mid-2016, between its closure at ART and its opening on Broadway in October 2016. The fandom grew in popularity in 2017, especially after it won two Tony awards in June of that year (many fans think it should have won more). It closed on Broadway in September 2017, much to the sadness of the fans, due to controversy and low ticket sales.
In July 2017, fan-favorite Hamilton star Okieriete Onaodowan assumed the role of Pierre Bezukhov. Less than two weeks later, it was announced that he would be replaced by Mandy Patinkin. This announcement upset fans and theater professionals, who were frustrated that a black actor would be so quickly replaced by a white actor, because, according to creator Dave Malloy, the replacement was happening due to low ticket sales. Following these complaints, Patinkin announced he would not be joining the show, and Onaodowan remained until the show closed due to low ticket sales.
The most popular ships are:
- Fyodor Dolokhov/Anatole Kuragin
- Marya Akhrosimova/Elena Kuragina
- Anatole Kuragin/Natalya Rostova
- Pyotr Bezukhov/Natalya Rostova 
- an ache i still remember by nosecoffee - Pierre remembers Hélène with clarity, her memory almost as bright as the comet that had restored some hope in him, but now, so many years after, she is both different and the same.
- the prick of a pretty, perfect and poisonous pearl by pomegarnet - She really could not help loving him.
- where to now? by iaintinapatientphase - Natasha, after.
- great comet characters- [1/10] natasha rostova, gifset by ofeighteentwelve
- i love the color yellow and pierre bezukhov, fanart by pellowcase
- untitled fanart by gaywarandpeace
- works tagged Great Comet at the Archive of Our Own
- works tagged Great Comet at FanFiction.net
- Tumblr search terms: great comet, natasha pierre and the great comet of 1812, npatgco1812