Kimi no Na wa.
|Name:||Kimi no Na wa., Your Name., 君の名は。|
August 26, 2016 (Japan)
April 7, 2017 (USA)
|Medium:||Film, Light Novel|
|Country of Origin:||Japan|
Official Website (Japanese)
Official Website (English)
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Kimi no Na wa. is a 2016 Japanese animated romantic fantasy film produced by CoMix Wave Films and released by Toho. It depicts a high school boy (Taki) in Tokyo and a high school girl (Mitsuha) in the Japanese countryside who suddenly and inexplicably begin to swap bodies, and revolves around their actions, which begin to have a dramatic impact on each other's lives, weaving them into a fabric held together by fate and circumstance.
The film won Best Animated Feature at the 2016 Los Angeles Film Critics Association Awards, 49th Sitges Film Festival, and as the 71st Mainichi Film Awards, and nominated for Best Animation of the Year at the 40th Japan Academy Prize.
Mitsuha Miyamizu, a high school girl, yearns to live the life of a boy in the bustling city of Tokyo—a dream that stands in stark contrast to her present life in the countryside. Meanwhile in the city, Taki Tachibana lives a busy life as a high school student while juggling his part-time job and hopes for a future in architecture.
One day, Mitsuha awakens in a room that is not her own and suddenly finds herself living the dream life in Tokyo—but in Taki's body! Elsewhere, Taki finds himself living Mitsuha's life in the humble countryside. In pursuit of an answer to this strange phenomenon, they begin to search for one another.
- Tachibana Taki (立花 瀧, ), is a 17-year-old high school boy in Tokyo. Taki is a talented sketch artist and has aspirations to be an architect. He is short-tempered but well-meaning and kind. Later appeared in Shinkai's next film Weathering with You.
- Miyamizu Mitsuha (宮水 三葉), is a 17-year-old high school girl dissatisfied with her life in Itomori, a mountainous and rural town of Gifu Prefecture. Mitsuha is usually seen with her hair tied up with a dark red braided ribbon that she made by hand herself. She and her sister are shrine maiden (miko) of the family Shinto shrine.
Your Name. is a Japanese light novel written by Makoto Shinkai. It is a novelization of the animated film of the same name, which was directed by Shinkai. It was published in Japan by Kadokawa Corporation on June 18, 2016, a month prior to the film premiere. By September 2016, the light novel had sold around 1,029,000 copies. An official visual guide was also released. The novel sold over 1.3 million copies, while the novel and visual guide sold over 2.5 million copies combined.
On September 27, 2017, producer J. J. Abrams and screenwriter Eric Heisserer announced that they were working on a live-action remake. Several directors became involved in the project over the years, later abandoning them. As of March 2022, the film had not yet been produced.
The film would be about a young Native Americans woman living in a rural area and a young man from Chicago who discover they are magically and intermittently swapping bodies.
Links and Resources
- "Makoto Shinkai Publishes Kimi no Na wa./your name. Novel Before Film Opens". Anime News Network. May 11, 2016. Archived from the original on May 12, 2016. Retrieved September 24, 2016.
- "Makoto Shinkai's 'your name.' Novel Sells Over 1 Million". Anime News Network. September 21, 2016. Archived from the original on September 24, 2016. Retrieved September 24, 2016.
- "「君の名は。」２００億円突破のワケ". Yomiuri Shimbun. December 8, 2016. Archived from the original on December 28, 2016. Retrieved December 28, 2016.[Dead link]
- Sneider, Jeff (February 14, 2019). "Marc Webb to Direct 'Your Name' Remake for Paramount, Bad Robot". Collider. Archived from the original on February 15, 2019. Retrieved February 14, 2019.