Five Nights at Freddy's
|Name:||Five Nights at Freddy's|
|Date(s):||August 8, 2014 - Present|
|Country of Origin:||America|
|External Links:||Steam page for Five Nights at Freddy's|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Five Nights at Freddy's, often referred to as FNaF, is an indie survival horror video game series created by Scott Cawthon. It takes place in a pizzeria with animatronic robots, similar to characters from the Chuck E. Cheese franchise. In the game, the robots wander through the place at night and kill people.
- Five Nights at Freddy's (2014)
- Five Nights at Freddy's 2 (2014)
- Five Nights at Freddy's 3 (2015)
- Five Nights at Freddy's 4 (2015)
- Five Nights at Freddy's: Sister Location (2016)
- Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator (2017)
- Five Nights at Freddy's VR: Help Wanted (2019)
- A popular opinion prior to the sequel was that Foxy (FNaF) was the one who caused the Bite of '87, due to his area being closed off and Foxy being less maintained and worn out than the rest of the mascots. Putting 1987 as the difficulty on the 7th Night after a patch, however, brings a Golden Freddy jump scare, leading people to suspect that maybe Foxy was a red herring. The sequel largely Jossed this, however, since Foxy would've most likely been lying in the Parts/Service room at the time of the Bite.
- There's generally two interpretations of Foxy's role in the daytime show.
- One: He's an adventurous story teller that provides entertainment when the band needs a break for maintenance or something.
- Two: He's the villain of the "story" who, much like the Hamburglar, raids and plunders pizza from the Fazbear group.
- Fans often portray the robots with an electronic speech impediment of some kind, despite there being little to no indication of that happening in the game itself. However, this is somewhat believable due to how worn and old the animatronics are said to be.
- The fans also agree that the cupcake is a security camera, the fan sucks up all your power, and that Chica (FNaF) is going to the kitchen to eat regular, normal pizza.
- While in canon it only appears on her bib, "LET'S EAT!" is often used as Chica's catchphrase in fanworks.
One of the fandom's BNF, Rebornica, created a popular AU that became notorious for its naming and characterization of the Purple Guy. The acceptance of the AU as canon became a point of contention within the fandom.
A person with the handle "Rebornica" made a very successful headcanon story that explains her own depiction of the events of FNAF. People, mainly young fans of the series, became so intrigued by the stories that she wrote, that they actually decided that they are CANON, and not necessarily headcanon. A character in the story is called Vincent, and he is of course shown to be the Purple Guy. A large majority of the fans made fanart of "Vincent" with the same design as Purple Guy, and people outside of Rebornica's fandom saw these artworks and got instantly pissed off, since Vincent is not the confirmed name of the character, nor are ANY of Rebornica's writings. People parodize it constantly now.