|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
ColossalCon, formerly called Cleveland Colossal Convention, is an annual four-day anime convention held during May/June in Ohio.
Colossalcon East is held in September in the Poconos, Pennsylvania.
ColossalCon was started in 2002 and began as a one-day convention in Strongsville, Ohio. In 2003, it became a three-day convention and moved to the Holiday Inn Cleveland South Independence in Independence, Ohio where it remained until 2007, except for 2005 when it was located in the Embassy Suites. The convention for 2008 moved to the Hilton Cleveland East / Beachwood in Beachwood, Ohio, and moved again in 2009 to the Kalahari Resort and Convention Center in Sandusky, Ohio where the convention has been located since. During the 2010 convention a tornado hit the area surrounding the venue, hotel and convention guests were sent to the basement for shelter, and the venue suffered no damage.
In 2017, ColossalCon's LLC, NostalgiaConventions.com filed a legal complaint against Colossus Con due to the similar name, "alleging trademark infringement, unfair competition, false advertising and other counts". As a result, Colossus Con's events were renamed California Republic Comic Con and Campbell Con.
In 2019, a panel submission "Cosplaying while Black" was rejected/waitlisted, and, when contacted via Facebook Messenger, ColossalCon said, "Many initially rejected panels actually end up on the schedule. If you're looking for a con dedicated to social issues, I think they made one called Dashcon." ColossalCon's Twitter later said the staff member who had made this remark had been fired for it.
- Hanson, Brian (2010-07-09). "Hey, Answerman! Identity Theft". Anime News Network. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- Reformado, Wadi (February 28, 2017). "ColossalCon alleges Colossus Con name infringes trademark". norcalrecord.com. Retrieved April 23, 2019.
- Trae Dorn (June 1, 2017). "Colossus Con Rebrands After ColossalCon files Trademark Complaint". Nerd & Tie. Retrieved April 23, 2019.
- Twitter thread, May 22 2018
- "I just found out the "cosplaying while black" panel was rejected at C*l*ssalcon because the person selecting panels thought it was too exclusive (of white people, they mean)". 23 April 2019. Archived from the original on 2 July 2020.
| This page uses content under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License from Wikipedia (view authors).