Brony (My Little Pony glossary term)
|See also:||Fandom Nickname|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
A brony is an older fan (most often ages 18 - 34) of the children's cartoon My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and My Little Pony. Due to the presence of "bro" in the word, some maintain that the word brony only refers to male fans; others argue that it encompasses female fans as well.. It remains a matter of personal choice. Nevertheless, the word "pegasister" is often used to refer to female fans in particular. The term distinguishes the older following of MLP from the target audience of young girls.
Common misconceptions about bronies are:
- All bronies are male, implying that there are no women in the fandom. (One out of seven bronies is female, not counting non-cis bronies.)
- All bronies are adult. (Many bronies are teenagers.)
- Bronies love all of My Little Pony. (Bronies came to exist as fans of the fourth generation's animated show only. Some still dislike the Equestria Girls spin-off, even more dislike Pony Life which actually counts as G4.5, and G4 merch has to be show-accurate for the bronies to like it. As for the older generations, many bronies downright despise everything that came before Friendship is Magic.)
The term is a combination of "bro" and "pony."
- Gilbert, Anne. 2015. "What We Talk about When We Talk about Bronies." Transformative Works and Cultures, no. 20. http://dx.doi.org/10.3983/twc.2015.0666.
Some External Sources
- My Little Pony Corrals Unlikely Fanboys Known as ‘Bronies’ posted June 9, 2011, accessed December 1, 2011
- Urban Dictionary: Brony posted January 22, 2011, accessed November 19, 2016
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fandom posted May 18, 2012, accessed November 19, 2016
- Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Adult Fans of My Little Pony (IMDB) accessed November 19, 2016
- Cuteness, friendship and identity in the brony community posted September 15, 2016, accessed November 19, 2016