Area 52: The HKH Standard
|Name:||Area 52: The HKH Standard|
|Date(s):||October 25, 1998 - 2017|
|Fandom:||Stargate, Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis (all series)|
http://gatekat.net/Area52/index.html (Wayback, 1999)
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Area 52: The HKH Standard (usually referred to just as "Area 52") was a Stargate slash archive.
It accepted slash and pre-slash stories based on any Stargate material, however, there is no SGU fic archived. In the first years of the archive's existence, most stories were originally posted to Gateway, the SG1 Slash List. The archive was a sister site of Heliopolis.
"Area 52: The HKH Standard" went offline some time in July 2017, supposedly to change servers. It has never returned.
Regarding the Site's Title
Explanation for the archive name from its website: "What the Archive Name Means... Area 52 is the canon codename for the StarGate Project location in Cheyenne Mountain. HKH stands for hôkwe kanuöhkwa'shæ' hôkwe (man love man) in Mingo (a Native American Language from current West Virginia)." 
The archives had a site history that showed all the stories that had been archived since 1998.  In June 2009 the 11,000th story was archived. The newspost announcing that milestone gave more detailed numbers:
- We have 931 authors and on average 15 new stories are added to the archive each week. Sadly this is a slow down on previous rates.
- Site History (content added between October 25, 1998-January 1, 2000)
- Story Submission Formatting
- Beta Reader List
- 1999 List of Authors
The sister archive of Heliopolis, Area52 focuses on Stargate: SG-1 SLASH stories. Updated weekly, the archive is easy to browse by author or pairing, with full information about each story provided. All slash (or femslash) pairings are accepted, all ratings, all genres. The website also has an interesting history behind its name, so be sure to check that out too.
- "What kind of stories does Area 52 accept?".
- post asking what happened
- "Area 52 Main Page".
- "Site History 2000, 1999, 1998". Retrieved 2010-10-09.
- "News - 11,000 Stories!". Retrieved 2010-10-08.
- Moonbeam's Fanfiction Predilections. Fanfiction Quicklinks, Archived version (Last updated July 2005, Accessed 05 December 2015)