|Genre:||mpreg, crackfic, crossover|
|External Links:||Arcana at Emily Brunson's Dreamwidth|
Click here for related articles on Fanlore.
The author's header: "Rating: NC-17, Warning: mpreg, WIP. Summary: The crossover that launched a thousand crits."
The fic was written for a Nick Stokes mpreg challenge and posted at oh_no_nicky, although it has since been deleted there. It was also archived at Chance's Slash Archive until the site went offline.
It was nominated by Liz Henry for a James Tiptree Jr Memorial Award  ("for SF/F that explores and expands the roles of women and men, juried") at WisCon in 2006, and this generated much controversy.
Some of the points of contention:
- the legitimacy of fan fic
- the work was a WIP
- the work was written for a crack challenge and therefore has been nominated without context
- it’s not a good fanfic of its type
- the work was fanfiction and therefore inferior
- the work was fanfiction and therefore unlawful
- it is not "tiptroid" enough and does not expand or explore gender, but instead confirms traditional gender roles
- this nomination would bring legal attention to fanworks
- if the fic won, the author would get prizes and cash and that's wrong for fanfiction
- the nomination cheapened the award
- the fic wasn't written for a general audience, not even WisCon attendees
- cherry-picking a "weird" fic to highlight fanfic's strangeness
- perhaps nominating the fic without permission from the author
- bringing attention to a fic and fan for the purpose of making a political point
- the fic was mpreg, and therefore, stupid
- The "Arcana" Controversy; archive link by Matt Ruff (May 18, 2006)
- Re: Tiptree Award; archive link by Cesperanza (May 18, 2006)
- Tiptree Longlist Controversy; WebCite (May 19, 2006)
- Some thoughts on fanfic and the Tiptree, by Liz Henry (May 19, 2006)
- Slash Fiction & the Venom Cock (Oh, You Knew This Was Coming!); Webcite by Kameron Hurley (May 31, 2006)