10 Things I Hate About You
|Name:||10 Things I Hate About You|
|Creator:||Gil Junger (director)|
|Date(s):||March 31, 1999 (film)|
July 7, 2009 – May 24, 2010 (TV series)
|Medium:||Film, tie-in novelization, Television|
|Country of Origin:||USA|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
10 Things I Hate About You is a 1999 romantic comedy American film, and loose adaptation of Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew set in a modern American high school in the northwestern United States.
In June 1999, the Scholastic Corporation published a novelisation of the story, adapted by David Levithan, retold as it is in the film with each chapter written from the point of view of either Bianca, Cameron, Kat, Patrick, or Michael.
A television series was also made between 2009/2010 on ABC Family, which ran to lasting only 20 episodes in two seasons.
The main characters are:
- Kat Stratford, the shrew
- Bianca Stratford, her beautiful sister
- Cameron James, who wants to date Bianca (the Lucentio analogue)
- Patrick Verona, who is drafted in to date Kat (the Petruchio analogue)
Minor characters include:
- Dr Walter Stratford, the sisters' overprotective father
- Joey Donner, the main antagonist
- Cameron's friend, Michael Eckman
- Kat's friend, Mandella
- Bianca's friend, Chastity Church.
Even though it was a success, being referenced as a cult classic and recommended by several means, the film's fandom is as small as the series itself, having only 123 works for the first and 10 for the second on AO3 as of June 2022. Because of that it was eligible for Yuletide and 11 works are available at yuletidetreasure.org.
Archives, Communities & Resources
- 10 Things I Hate About You Film tag and TV Series tag at AO3.
- 10 Things I Hate About You (TV) & crossovers at FFN.
- 10 Things I Hate About You (film) & crossovers at FFN.