|Relationship:||Ron Weasley/Hermione Granger|
|Alternative name(s):||The Good Ship, R/Hr, RW/HG|
|Archives:||Checkmated, The Sugar Quill|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Ron/Hermione refers to the romantic pairing of Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger in the Harry Potter fandom. The pairing is perhaps best know as one side of the fandom's epic shipwar that occurred while the fandom was still open and relatively young.
Harry/Ginny & OBHWF
Many Ron/Hermione shippers often identified as Harry/Ginny shippers as well, especially during the shipwars of the early fandom. The term "One Big Happy Weasley Family" (OBHWF) was thus coined to encompass both pairings and provide a unified front against the Harmonians.
However, not all Ron/Hermione shippers necessarily support Harry/Ginny. Many, especially early-on, preferred Harry romantically disentangled for the series' conclusion, and after the release of Half-Blood Prince, the Harry/Luna ship gained reasonable popularity among R/Hr shippers. Additionally, many R/Hr fans prefer Harry to be paired with Draco Malfoy, and many Harry/Draco fics also feature Ron/Hermione.
Even after canon had set and the shipping wars died down, some fans dislike the idea of Hermione and Ron together. One complaint is that it's anti-feminist for Hermione to settle down relatively young and start having children. A common epilogue-compliant way for such fans to deal with it is infidelity stories, where either Ron or Hermione or both are unfaithful, and the couple eventually breaks up.
JKR's 2014 Comments
In a 2014 interview, Rowling expressed doubts that Ron and Hermione would have had a fulfilling relationship:
- "I wrote the Hermione/Ron relationship as a form of wish fulfillment. That’s how it was conceived, really. For reasons that have very little to do with literature and far more to do with me clinging to the plot as I first imagined it, Hermione with Ron. [...] It was a choice I made for very personal reasons, not for reasons of credibility. Am I breaking people’s hearts by saying this? I hope not. [...]
- "It was a young relationship. I think the attraction itself is plausible but the combative side of it… I’m not sure you could have got over that in an adult relationship, there was too much fundamental incompatibility. [...] In some ways Hermione and Harry are a better fit [...]
- "Oh, maybe she and Ron will be alright with a bit of counseling, you know. I wonder what happens at wizard marriage counseling? They’ll probably be fine. He needs to work on his self-esteem issues and she needs to work on being a little less critical."
Common Themes & Tropes
- After the End by Arabella and Zsenya
- The Book of Morgan Le Fey and The Final Reckoning by LavenderBrown
- The Price of Love by RogueSugah
by DramaQueen14 warm, a Ron/Hermione illustration.
An animated gif of Ron and Hermione from the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 film, with a quote from the book
Archives & Fansites
- Checkmated, for fic featuring R/Hr and non-contradictory pairings
- The Sugar Quill, for "canon-compliant" (R/Hr & H/G) fic and fanart
- Phoenexsong.net, for R/Hr and H/G fic and fanart
- The Good Ship at ship_manifesto
- R/Hr Recs from crack_broom
- goodship / ronhermione LiveJournal communities