|Name:||Hermione Jean Granger|
|Relationships:|| Ron Weasley (friend, husband)|
Harry Potter (best friend)
|Other:||born 19 September 1979|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Little about Hermione's home life is known, and her parents have only a handful of mentions in canon. Though it was J.K. Rowling's intention to make Hermione's family "quite ordinary," some fans have pointed out that Hermione hardly ever sees her parents, and have interpreted a strained relationship between them.
At Hogwarts, Hermione was consistently the top of her year. Though fans sometimes question the nature of Hermione's intelligence, she was undoubtedly instrumental in assisting Harry in the fight against Lord Voldemort.
Hermione is generally well-liked, one fan even stating that she "is arguably one of the best female role models in any children's book."
Hermione has been described by some as "ruthless," and many fans questioned a number of her actions, including:
- capturing and blackmailing Rita Skeeter
- permanently cursing Marietta
- leading Umbridge to the centaurs ("attempted murder")
- modifying her parents memories
Most of the criticism of Hermione seems to be an example of resistant reading--that is, J.K. Rowling did not intend for readers to interpret Hermione's actions negatively. For example, when asked if Marietta's pimples (the result of Hermione's curse) ever faded, Rowling replied: "Eventually, but it left a few scars. I loathe a traitor!" This implies that Rowling, at least, feels Hermione's actions were justified.
It's interesting to note that people start to have issues with Hermione, the best student in her year, who is pretty, can make an international Quidditch superstar make fall in love with her, is admittedly like Rowling when she was young, knows everything from obscure spells to Cho's innermost feelings, who is always right and gets away with murder. If Hermione's flaws continue to be perceived as being only bushy hair and an abrasive personality, then the accusations of Hermione being a canon Mary Sue will multiply by tenfold.
While the canon was still open, particularly before the publication of Half-Blood Prince, there were massive ship wars over whether Hermione would end up with Harry or Ron at the end of the series. When Half-Blood Prince and a subsequent interview with J.K. Rowling confirmed Ron/Hermione to be canonical, there was much wank by certain Harry/Hermione shippers.
List of Hermione Pairings
Notable Hermione-centric Fanworks
- Hermione, Queen of Witches by Arabella - a retelling of the Harry Potter novels from Hermione's point of view. (Ron/Hermione)
- Hermione: Book vs. Fanfic by The-Starhorse - parody of Hermione's interpretation in fanon (Gen)
- Big Damn Anvil by Marta - a chronicle of the Ron/Hermione pairing in canon
- Granger Enchanted (website) - a Hermione-centric fanfiction archive
- Hermione Big Bang (comm) - a Big Bang challenge for Hermione-centric fanworks (2009)
- HermioneFanfiction.net (defunct, Wayback) - a Hermione-centric fanfiction archive
- Quills & Ink Stains (comm) - a LiveJournal community for anything Hermione related
- J.K.Rowling Official Site. 19 September 2003. Archived at the Harry Potter Lexicon: Guide to jkrowling.com - Brithdays. (Accessed 20 January 2011.)
- Scott. Harry Potter Lexicon Essays: Hermione's Family. 2004. (Accessed 17 August 2011.)
- Penny Linsenmayer. HPfGU Fantastic Posts: Hermione Granger. 21 June 2001. (Accessed 01 April 2011 via the Wayback Machine.)
- ReaderRavenclaw. Rebuttal regarding Hermione's Intelligence. 04 September 2004. (Accessed 01 April 2011.)
- Rosie. Harry Potter and the Nerdy Feminist. (Accessed 01 April 2011.)
- Elkins. HPfGU Post #52640: Hermione, Knowledge and Blackmail. 21 February 2003. (Accessed 01 April 2011.)
- Kia (no_remorse). Hermione, the murderer. 12 October 2004. (Accessed 01 April 2011.)
- Victoria P. (musesfool). sauce for the goose. 21 April 2004. (Accessed 01 April 2011.)
- Morgan D. Hermione's prejudice and it's consequence in book 6. (Hogs_Head Messages #349, #377, #403, and #436). 11-16 January 2004. (Accessed 01 April 2011.)
- sollersuk. Is Hermione completely wrong about house elves? 04 June 2006. (Accessed 01 April 2011.)
- MuggleNet. The Deathly Hallows Web Chat. July 2007. (Accessed 13 August 2012.)
- Kia (no_remorse). idol_reflection: Hermione Granger. 28 October 2004. (Accessed 01 April 2011.)