|Pairing:||Remus Lupin/Sirius Black|
|Alternative name(s):||Puppyshipping, H.M.S. Wolfstar, The One True Way, R/S, RL/SB|
|Gender category:||m/m slash|
|Archives:|| Azkaban's Lair (closed November 2008)|
Wolf and Hound
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
[needs more on pre-GoF fandom]
After the release of Goblet of Fire (GoF), one common trope of Remus/Sirius fanfic was Lie Low At Lupin's fic, in which Sirius goes to stay with Remus as Dumbledore suggests he do at the end of GoF. After this, Remus/Sirius was so popular as a secondary pairing in e.g. Harry/Draco fics that it was sometimes taken as a given, and wasn't always listed in the header.
With Sirius's death in Order of the Phoenix (OotP), the pairing became canonically doomed, but, if anything, only gained in fannish popularity. The pairing developed two main genres, one centering on Remus and Sirius as students at Hogwarts or shortly after leaving school (often called Marauders-era fic), the other on their reunion and time together before Sirius's death. Remus/Sirius denialfic AUs in which Sirius survives were also common in the wake of OotP, as were "Bring Back Black" stories in which Sirius somehow returns from the dead.
Some fans hoped Remus and Sirius would be revealed to be canonically gay. While suggestions that Remus/Sirius was a canon pairing were often meant jokingly, some fans argued that the Remus/Sirius subtext, especially in OotP, might be deliberate (their joint Christmas present to Harry was often mentioned).
The revelation of a romantic relationship between Remus and Nymphadora Tonks in Half-Blood Prince (HBP) caused a great deal of controversy in Remus/Sirius fandom. Some fans argued that this new canon made the Remus/Sirius pairing impossible, some felt that both pairings were possible, and some denied or hated the Remus/Tonks relationship.  After Remus/Tonks became canon, it became more common (but not universal) for Remus/Sirius fans to depict Remus as bisexual rather than gay.
- "Lie Low at Lupin's"
- "Bring Back Black"
- "werewolves mate for life" (used in other Remus pairings, but common especially in early Remus/Sirius fic)
- Remus and Sirius adopt Harry or otherwise become his surrogate family
The primary Remus/Sirius community on LiveJournal is remusxsirus, founded in 2003, but there are numerous others, including packmates, shacking_up, two_boys, justpuppylove, starcrossedmoon, hbpandrxs, and the_kennel.
In 2005, possibly in response to the events of Half-Blood Prince, there was a surge in fannish activity, leading to the creation of Dog Days of Summer. It provided daily prompts during the month of August. Later it was followed by sibling communities Scarves and Hats (October), Blanket Forts (January) and Welly Muck (April).
shacking_up ran a Secret Santa exchange in 2004 and 2005, archived at shackinup-sesa.livejournal.com. From 2006, RS Small Gifts, founded by magnetic_pole and busaikko, has held winter art and fiction exchanges. The masterlist for 2006 is Winter 2006, for 2007 is Winter 2007, and for 2008 is Winter 2008.
- Remus/Sirius ship manifesto (posted 2004)
- Recs for R/S newbies by Victoria P (posted 2004)
- 300-work R/S reclist by rynne (posted 2004)
- Accio Remus/Sirius Fics is the fic-finding and genre-search community, with an extensive collection of tags. (opened 2005)
- Sirius/Remus fanworks at Archive of Our Own (opened 2009)
- Sirius/Remus podfics at the Audiofic Archive (opened 2006)
- Nistelle. comment thread in Spoiler Discussion for Book 6 post in the remusxsirius LiveJournal community, 16 July 2005, accessed 14 October 2008
- Selecasharp. Calm down! in the remusxsirius LiveJournal community, 16 July 2005, accessed 14 October 2008
- Cobalt_Violet. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt, 16 July 2005, accessed 14 October 2008